Block on a vertical spring, finding frequency

In summary: If so, you can find the solution for ##x(t)## and use that to find the frequency.In summary, a block of mass m is supported by a vertical, massless spring with spring constant k on a platform of mass M. The spring is compressed by an amount of mg/k when the system is at rest. When the spring is pushed an extra distance x, the frequency of vertical oscillation can be found by solving the differential equation m(d^2x/dt^2) = k(x_0 - x) - mg, where x_0 is the initial compression at rest.
laurenm02

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is on a platform of mass M, supported by a vertical, massless spring with spring constant k.

When the system is at rest, how much is the spring compressed?
When the spring is pushed an extra distance x, what is the frequency of vertical oscillation?

Homework Equations

F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I set F = mg = -kx, where m = (M + m), and found x = (M+m)g/-k

For the second part, I'm not sure how to set it up. I first thought that frequency is independent of amplitude, but I was told that I have to first write a new second law equation and then find an equation of motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frequency will not be independent of amplitude, because the frequency depends on the force exerted by the spring, which in turn depends on the amplitude of the compression. So yes, you'll have to write out a new second law equation taking into account the extra compression.

sk1105 said:
So yes, you'll have to write out a new second law equation taking into account the extra compression

Can I get a little guidance on this? I'm not sure how to set it up.

Hi laurenm02! :)

sk1105 said:
Frequency will not be independent of amplitude, because the frequency depends on the force exerted by the spring, which in turn depends on the amplitude of the compression. So yes, you'll have to write out a new second law equation taking into account the extra compression.

Sorry, but frequency is independent of amplitude.

laurenm02 said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass m is on a platform of mass M, supported by a vertical, massless spring with spring constant k.

When the system is at rest, how much is the spring compressed?
When the spring is pushed an extra distance x, what is the frequency of vertical oscillation?

Homework Equations

F = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first question, I set F = mg = -kx, where m = (M + m), and found x = (M+m)g/-k

For the second part, I'm not sure how to set it up. I first thought that frequency is independent of amplitude, but I was told that I have to first write a new second law equation and then find an equation of motion.

The mass M should not be included. It does not matter whether the spring rests on a platform of mass M or directly on the ground.
What matters, is that we have a mass m that is supported by the spring.
So the compression at rest should be ##\frac{mg}{k}##.

Now suppose we compress the spring by an additional amount ##x##.
Then the resultant force becomes ##F_{result} = k(x_0 - x) - mg##.
Newton's second law states that ##F_{result} = ma##.
So we get that:
$$ma = k(x_0 - x) - mg$$
Or, written as a differential equation:
$$m\frac{d^2x}{dt^2} = k(x_0 - x) - mg$$

Are you supposed to be able to solve such an equation?

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Block on a vertical spring, finding frequency

What is a block on a vertical spring?

A block on a vertical spring is a physical system consisting of a mass attached to a vertical spring. The mass is usually suspended from a fixed point, and the spring is compressed or stretched. This system is used to study simple harmonic motion and the effects of mass and spring constant on the frequency of oscillation.

What is the frequency of a block on a vertical spring?

The frequency of a block on a vertical spring is the number of complete cycles or oscillations the system undergoes per unit time. It is given by the formula f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant.

How do you find the frequency of a block on a vertical spring?

The frequency of a block on a vertical spring can be found by using the formula f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass of the block, and k is the spring constant. The values of m and k can be measured or given, and plugging them into the formula will give the frequency in units of hertz (Hz).

What factors affect the frequency of a block on a vertical spring?

The frequency of a block on a vertical spring is affected by two main factors: the mass of the block and the spring constant. A higher mass will result in a lower frequency, while a higher spring constant will result in a higher frequency. The length and diameter of the spring can also affect the frequency, as well as any external forces acting on the system.

What is the relationship between mass and frequency in a block on a vertical spring?

The relationship between mass and frequency in a block on a vertical spring is an inverse one. This means that as the mass increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass, and k is the spring constant.