Block on a ramp Sum of forces, normal force, static friction, etc Question

In summary, the block is held in equilibrium by a horizontal force vector F applied in the direction shown in the figure below. The coefficient of static friction between block and incline is μs = 0.300. The normal force exerted by the incline on the block is n = 0.940F + 6.704.
riseofphoenix
Ok so I already know how to solve it by looking at an example my teacher did in class...
This is what I did...

4. A 2.00 kg block is held in equilibrium on an incline of angle θ = 70° by a horizontal force vector F applied in the direction shown in the figure below. If the coefficient of static friction between block and incline is μs = 0.300, determine the following.

p4-50.gif

(a) the minimum value of F

Step 1) Draw Free Body Diagram
Step 2) Determine forces in x and y direction

Fx
fs
F cos 70
-mg sin 70

Fy
n
-F sin 70
-mg cos 70

Step 3) Sum of x-forces and sum of y-forces/Equilibrium equations

ƩFx = fs + F cos 70 + (-mg sin 70) = 0

ƩFy = n + (-F sin 70) + (-mg cos 70) = 0
ƩFy = n + (-F sin 70) + (-mg cos 70) = 0
ƩFy = n - F sin 70 - mg cos 70 = 0
ƩFy = n = F sin 70 + mg cos 70
ƩFy = n = 0.940F + (2.00)(9.8)cos 70
ƩFy = n = 0.940F + 6.704

Step 4) Solve for static friction fs

fs = μsn
fs = (0.300)n
fs = (0.300)(0.940F + 6.704)
fs = 0.282F + 2.0112

Step 5) Find the HORIZONTAL force vector by plugging in fs in ƩFx

ƩFx = fs + F cos 70 + (-mg sin 70) = 0
ƩFx = (0.282F + 2.0112) + 0.342F - 18.418 = 0
ƩFx = 0.282F + 0.342F + 2.0112 - 18.418 = 0
ƩFx = 0.624F - 16.4068 = 0
ƩFx = 0.624F = 16.4068
ƩFx = F = 26.29 N(b) the normal force exerted by the incline on the block

n = 0.940F + 6.704
n = 0.940(26.29) + 6.704
n = 31.4 N

MY QUESTION IS...

In STEP 2, why is the force "-mg sin 70" included in the X-DIRECTION and why is the force -mg cos 70 included in the Y-DIRECTION?

I thought the ONLY forces acting in the x-direction were static friction, fs and Fcos 70, while the only forces acting in the y direction were normal force, n, and -Fsin 70?

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
In STEP 2, why is the force "-mg sin 70" included in the X-DIRECTION and why is the force -mg cos 70 included in the Y-DIRECTION?

I thought the ONLY forces acting in the x-direction were static friction, fs and Fcos 70, while the only forces acting in the y direction were normal force, n, and -Fsin 70?

Help!
----------------------------------
There are 4 forces acting on the block, weight ,applied force,frictional force and normal.
We create a new frame of reference with x-axis parallel to the inclined plane
So you have to resolved all the forces to new x and y direction for easy arithmetic.

The frictional force is parallel to the plane and opposes the motion. Without friction the block will slide down. So the friction is opposite direction to that.

The normal force is acting in y direction which is equal to μN

Draw fbd or vector diagram on these 4 forces with their components.

Last edited:
azizlwl said:

Help!
----------------------------------
There are 2 forces acting on the block, weight and applied force.
We create a new frame of reference with x-axis parallel to the inclined plane
So you have to resolved the 2 forces to new x and y direction for easy arithmetic.

So basically... whenever I have a problem like this, where I have Fcos 70 as a force in the x direction, the opposite(-Fsin 70) would also have to be taken into account and vice versa?

riseofphoenix said:
So basically... whenever I have a problem like this, where I have Fcos 70 as a force in the x direction, the opposite(-Fsin 70) would also have to be taken into account and vice versa?

Sorry for so many editing on my last post.

The best thing to do is to draw a vector diagram(for a start, many diagrams).
1. First draw vector diagram with force applied and the weight.
2. Replace those 2 forces with their components in x an y direction.
3. You add negative y direction forces. This value is opposed by equal Normal force.
4. Then frictional force emerge due to Normal force formed and the coefficient not equal to zero.

Hope you can post your diagram.
Take a snap, and use imageshack.com or other sites to upload the diagram and copy the link.

Last edited:

In order to solve for the minimum value of F, we need to consider all the forces acting on the block in both the x and y directions. The force of gravity, mg, has components in both the x and y directions, mg sin 70 and mg cos 70 respectively. These components are included in the equations because they contribute to the overall sum of forces in each direction. In the x direction, mg sin 70 acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, F, and must be taken into account. Similarly, in the y direction, mg cos 70 acts in the opposite direction of the normal force, n, and must also be included in the equation. It is important to consider all forces acting on the object in order to accurately determine the equilibrium conditions and solve for the minimum value of F.

Related to Block on a ramp Sum of forces, normal force, static friction, etc Question

What is a block on a ramp and what are the forces involved?

A block on a ramp is a simplified physics scenario where a block is placed on a ramp and is held in place by various forces. The two main forces involved are the force of gravity pulling the block downwards (known as weight) and the normal force exerted by the ramp on the block perpendicular to its surface. Other forces that may be involved include the force of static friction, which prevents the block from sliding down the ramp.

What is the sum of forces in a block on a ramp scenario?

The sum of forces, also known as the net force, is the total amount of force acting on an object. In a block on a ramp scenario, the sum of forces is equal to the weight of the block minus the normal force exerted by the ramp. This can be calculated using Newton's Second Law, which states that the net force is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

What is the normal force and how does it affect a block on a ramp?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In a block on a ramp scenario, the normal force is equal in magnitude to the component of the block's weight that is perpendicular to the ramp. The normal force helps to balance out the weight of the block and keep it in place on the ramp.

What is static friction and how does it play a role in a block on a ramp?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from sliding against each other when there is no relative motion between them. In a block on a ramp scenario, static friction acts between the block and the ramp to keep the block from sliding down the ramp. The maximum value of static friction is equal to the coefficient of static friction multiplied by the normal force.

How can the forces in a block on a ramp be calculated and manipulated?

The forces in a block on a ramp can be calculated using the principles of Newton's Laws of Motion and the equations for force, acceleration, and friction. These forces can also be manipulated by changing the angle of the ramp, the mass of the block, or the coefficient of friction between the block and the ramp surface. Additionally, external forces such as pushing or pulling on the block can also affect the forces in the scenario.