Block inside a spinning cone - Newton's 2nd Law problem

In summary: so, the weight is always acting along the vertical direction and the normal force is acting along the perpendicular direction.
Bensky
Block inside a spinning cone -- Newton's 2nd Law problem

Homework Statement

See attempt at solution. I have attached everything there.

Homework Equations

F_net = m * a_n (net force)
W = mg (weight)
a_n = 4*pi^2 * R * f^2 ... formula for "normal" component of acceleration where R = radius, f = rotating frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

Some questions I have about this problem (look at my work below first or these might not make any sense) --
1. Why is there only a vertical component for the weight? I thought weight always has 2 components whenever an object is on an "incline" which it appears to be here. Does this have something to do with the motion being circular?

2. Why does the normal force have two components if the weight does not? (Ncos(theta) and Nsin(theta))? And further, when exactly do you calculate the normal force or weight using components and when do you not? For example I know on all the incline plane problems I've done, the weight always has two components but normal force is just calculated as N - not using NSin(theta) or NCos(theta).

Basically, in my attempt below, I was just following the method my professor used to solve a similar problem (only difference was his problem had a sphere instead of a block and there was no friction) and I don't really understand why he calculated two above quantities the way he did. I did not get the correct answer so I'm trying to figure this out and having a hard time.

So here's my work:

Attachments

• attempt3.jpg
    attempt3.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,219
Physics news on Phys.org

Friction acts down the slope - this is where you messed up. That means
N sin(theta) + (mu)*N*cos(theta) = m*a
along the radius of the circular path.

Regarding weight's components . Components always along different directions regardless whether the body's on flat ground or a slope. Here your analysis is along the direction of gravity and normal to it - so there is no m*g in one eqn. and complete m*g in other. By the same token normal force has two components as it has some magnitude along both axes we analyse. Remember components are made for our convenience - it isn't that they actually exist uniquely. If I had chosen to analyse along different axes - say one down the plane and other perpendicular to it (which in fact I had) I would have had components of weight and not of the normal force.

aim1732 said:
Friction acts down the slope - this is where you messed up. That means
N sin(theta) + (mu)*N*cos(theta) = m*a
along the radius of the circular path.

Regarding weight's components . Components always along different directions regardless whether the body's on flat ground or a slope. Here your analysis is along the direction of gravity and normal to it - so there is no m*g in one eqn. and complete m*g in other. By the same token normal force has two components as it has some magnitude along both axes we analyse. Remember components are made for our convenience - it isn't that they actually exist uniquely. If I had chosen to analyse along different axes - say one down the plane and other perpendicular to it (which in fact I had) I would have had components of weight and not of the normal force.
I sort of understand your explanation. I'll have to read over it again, but thanks.

Btw - If I use N*sin(theta) + mu * N * cos(theta) I get frequency to be equal to .788, which is still not correct.

Here is a picture of the updated work:

Attachments

• fixedattempt.jpg
    fixedattempt.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 650

You should also have a component of the friction in the y-plane.

benhou said:
You should also have a component of the friction in the y-plane.
Thank you, I don't know why I didn't see that. I now have the correct answer.

I'm still a little shaky on when you use components for certain things even after reading over aim's explanation again. Could someone else try explaining this in a different way if possible?

Bensky said:
Thank you, I don't know why I didn't see that. I now have the correct answer.

I'm still a little shaky on when you use components for certain things even after reading over aim's explanation again. Could someone else try explaining this in a different way if possible?

In this particular problem, we have the object accelerating towards the centre. It implies that the net force is towards the centre. If we were to separate the forces into components, one of which is in the direction of the net force, it would be more convenient, because one of them will yield a zero, the other will just be the net force. In this case, [tex] F_{y}=0 , F_{x}=ma_{c}[/tex]

Hope it helps.

Related to Block inside a spinning cone - Newton's 2nd Law problem

1. What is the concept behind a block inside a spinning cone problem?

The concept behind this problem is to analyze the forces acting on a block as it moves inside a spinning cone. This involves applying Newton's 2nd Law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration.

2. How do you determine the acceleration of the block in this problem?

The acceleration of the block can be determined by using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the block, and m is the mass of the block. In this problem, the forces acting on the block include the force of gravity, the normal force from the cone, and the force of friction.

3. What is the role of centripetal force in this problem?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In this problem, the cone exerts a centripetal force on the block, which allows it to maintain its circular motion. This force is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the block times its centripetal acceleration.

4. How does the speed of the spinning cone affect the block's motion?

The speed of the spinning cone affects the block's motion by increasing the centripetal force exerted on the block. As the cone spins faster, the block will experience a greater force of gravity and friction, which will affect its acceleration and trajectory inside the cone.

5. What are the assumptions made in this problem?

Some common assumptions made in this problem include assuming that the cone is uniform and has a constant rate of rotation, neglecting air resistance and any other external forces, and assuming that the block moves without slipping or sliding inside the cone.