Block hung from vertical spring

In summary: If you only consider elastic potential energy, then you are not accounting for the gravitational potential energy.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A block is hung from a vertical spring. The spring stretches (h = .0650 m ) for a particular instant in time. Consider the earth, spring, and block to be in the system. If m = .865 kg and k = 125 N/m, find the change in the systems potential energy between the two times depicted.

Homework Equations

(1/2)ky^2(final) - (1/2)ky^2(initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

My book actually doesn't have an answer for this question. I assume the equation I wrote above is the one I use.

Plugging in I got:

(1/2)(125)(-.0650)^2 - (1/2)(125)(0) = .2640625

does the answer I got seem correct to everybody?

Physics news on Phys.org
The question statement is unclear. Is the block attached to the spring with the spring relaxed, and then released? The text implies a diagram, but you did not post one.
It asks for the change in "potential energy", but you only calculated a change in elastic potential energy.

Is there any gravitational potential energy involved? The question seems to imply that there should be.

haruspex said:
The question statement is unclear. Is the block attached to the spring with the spring relaxed, and then released? The text implies a diagram, but you did not post one.
It asks for the change in "potential energy", but you only calculated a change in elastic potential energy.
Sorry. Yes there is a diagram. It starts with a block at (0,0) and then the block goes to (0, -.0650 m)

Rijad Hadzic said:
Sorry. Yes there is a diagram. It starts with a block at (0,0) and then the block goes to (0, -.0650 m)
So what is the total change in PE?

haruspex said:
So what is the total change in PE?
Is it .2640625 Joules?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Is it .2640625 Joules?
No, that's just the change in elastic potential energy. Reread posts #2 and #3.

haruspex said:
No, that's just the change in elastic potential energy. Reread posts #2 and #3.

http://imgur.com/7OmNvFY

Here is the full question. It is question number 26. The section its under is called "Elastic Potential Energy."

Sorry I didn't make these clear in the OP

Rijad Hadzic said:
http://imgur.com/7OmNvFY

Here is the full question. It is question number 26. The section its under is called "Elastic Potential Energy."

Sorry I didn't make these clear in the OP
No, you had it right in the OP. It says to treat the Earth, spring and block as The System, and asks for the change in potential energy of The System. It does not restrict it to elastic potential energy. If it did, there would be no need to consider the Earth as part of The System.

haruspex said:
No, you had it right in the OP. It says to treat the Earth, spring and block as The System, and asks for the change in potential energy of The System. It does not restrict it to elastic potential energy. If it did, there would be no need to consider the Earth as part of The System.

I see. So what I do now is add my answer in the op, with (Gravitational potential energy final - Gravitational potential energy final) to get total PE for the system?

Rijad Hadzic said:
I see. So what I do now is add my answer in the op, with (Gravitational potential energy final - Gravitational potential energy final) to get total PE for the system?
Yes (except you didn't mean "final" twice).

haruspex said:
Yes (except you didn't mean "final" twice).

Wow I was sure I wrote (Gravitational potential energy final - Gravitational potential energy initial,) lol.

So the key with this problem is understanding there is 2 sources of energy and to add these up to get the net potential energy, right?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Wow I was sure I wrote (Gravitational potential energy final - Gravitational potential energy initial,) lol.

So the key with this problem is understanding there is 2 sources of energy and to add these up to get the net potential energy, right?
It's that there are two forms of potential energy involved.

Related to Block hung from vertical spring

1. How does the mass of the block affect the vertical spring?

The mass of the block does not affect the vertical spring. The spring's stiffness, or spring constant, is what determines how much the spring stretches or compresses in response to a hanging weight.

2. What is the relationship between the length of the spring and the displacement of the block?

The displacement of the block is directly proportional to the length of the spring. This means that as the length of the spring increases, the displacement of the block also increases.

3. Can the block's initial position affect the behavior of the vertical spring?

Yes, the block's initial position can affect the behavior of the vertical spring. If the block is initially at rest, the spring will only experience a downward force due to the weight of the block. However, if the block is initially pulled or pushed, the spring will also experience a horizontal force which can change the shape of the spring.

4. How does the spring constant affect the period of oscillation of the block?

The spring constant has an inverse relationship with the period of oscillation of the block. This means that as the spring constant increases, the period of oscillation decreases. This is because a stiffer spring will have a higher restoring force, causing the block to oscillate faster.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of the vertical spring experiment?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the vertical spring experiment. These include the precision of the measuring instruments used, air resistance, and the presence of external forces such as friction or wind. Additionally, the condition and age of the spring can also affect the results of the experiment.