Block and Wedge (all frictionless)

In summary, the question is asking for the acceleration of the block and the wedge, relative to the table. The block has two forces on it (the force of gravity and the force of the weight on the platform) and the wedge has three (the force of the weight on the platform, the force of the wedge, and the force of the weight on the wedge). The wedge has a net force that will be horizontal, and the angle of the block's net force is the angle between its line of action and the horizontal.
RoKe
I searched for this problem and could not find satisfactory information or information that applied to my specific concerns.

The wedge of mass M is resting on a horizontal surface. A block of mass m is placed on the wedge and the whole system is released from rest. There is no friction anywhere in the system.

I have the FBDs complete. I have the Newtonian equations of motion in both the x and y components (relative to the table, for an inertial frame) for the wedge and the block.

The question asks, use the concept of relative velocities to derive a statement of relative accelerations, then use that to apply the proper constraint.

Then, the acceleration of the wedge (relative to the table) and the block (relative to the table and the wedge) must be found. I think I can do this once I get the first part done.

Basically the wording of the first part of the question is confusing and I'm not sure where to progress after getting the motion equations.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
RoKe said:
The question asks, use the concept of relative velocities to derive a statement of relative accelerations, then use that to apply the proper constraint.
This is the exact wording of the question? I'm not sure what it means by "apply the proper constraint."

What did you get for your statement of relative accelerations?

The statement of relative accelerations is a_(block/table) = a_(block/wedge) + a_(wedge/table). Was I supposed to derive this from a similar statement of relative velocity? I don't know what it wants me to do.

I don't think that's what they want.

Go back to your FBD. THere should be one for the block and one for the wedge. The block has two forces on it, the wedge has three. The wedge has a net force that will be horizontal. The block has a net force that is angled down the incline (but not the same angle at incline),

Related to Block and Wedge (all frictionless)

1. What is the concept of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)"?

The concept of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)" refers to a theoretical scenario in which a block of mass is placed on top of a wedge with no friction between them. This allows for the block to slide down the wedge without any resistance from friction.

2. How does friction affect the movement of the block on the wedge?

In a real-world scenario, friction would play a significant role in slowing down the movement of the block on the wedge. However, in the ideal scenario of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)", there is no friction present, so the block would slide down the wedge smoothly and without any resistance.

3. What are the factors that influence the motion of the block on the wedge?

The motion of the block on the wedge is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the wedge, the mass of the block, and the absence of friction. Additionally, the force of gravity and the initial velocity of the block also play a role in determining the motion of the block on the wedge.

4. How does the angle of the wedge affect the motion of the block?

The angle of the wedge plays a significant role in determining the motion of the block. A steeper angle would result in a faster acceleration of the block, while a shallower angle would result in a slower acceleration. In the case of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)", the angle of the wedge would not affect the motion of the block as there is no friction present.

5. Can the block ever come to a complete stop on the wedge in the scenario of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)"?

No, the block would never come to a complete stop on the wedge in the scenario of "Block and Wedge (all frictionless)". In an ideal situation with no friction, the block would continue to slide down the wedge indefinitely, as there is no opposing force to slow it down.