Bloch Function Recursion Relation of Fourier Components

In summary: Your Name]In summary, to determine the dispersion relations for the three lowest electron bands for a 1-D potential of the form ##U(x) = 2A\cos(\frac{2\pi}{a} x)##, we can solve the infinite system of coupled equations using the method of Fourier series. This will give us the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions needed to obtain the dispersion relations.
MisterX

Homework Statement

This is just a problem to help me understand. Determine the dispersion relations for the three lowest electron bands for a 1-D potential of the form
##U(x) = 2A\cos(\frac{2\pi}{a} x)##

Homework Equations

I will notate ##G, \,G'## as reciprocal lattice vectors.
$$\psi_{nk}(x) = \sum_{G} c_n(k-G)e^{i(k-G)x}$$
$$U(x) = \sum_{G'} u(G')e^{iG'x} $$
We arrive at coupled equations of the form
$$ \left(\frac{\hbar^2\left(k-G\right)^2}{2m} - E\right)c_n\left(k-G\right) + \sum_{G'}u(G')c_n\left(k-G-G'\right) =0 $$

The Attempt at a Solution

with ##G_\eta = \frac{2\pi\eta}{a} ##.
$$U(x) = Ae^{iG_1x} + Ae^{-iG_1x}$$
So only the terms in the sum with ##G' = \pm G_1## will be nonzero. This leads to an infinite system of equations for each ##k## in the first BZ, such as
$$\dots$$
$$ \left(\frac{\hbar^2\left(k+G_1\right)^2}{2m} - E\right)c_n\left(k+G_1\right) + Ac_n(k+ G_2)+ Ac_n(k) =0$$
$$ \left(\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} - E \right)c_n\left(k\right) + Ac_n(k + G_1)+ Ac_n(k-G_1) =0$$
$$ \left(\frac{\hbar^2\left(k-G_1\right)^2}{2m} - E\right)c_n\left(k-G_1\right) + Ac_n(k)+ Ac_n(k-G_2) =0$$
$$ \left(\frac{\hbar^2\left(k-G_2\right)^2}{2m} - E\right)c_n\left(k-G_2\right) + Ac_n(k-G_1)+ Ac_n(k-G_3) =0$$
and so on. I'm not sure how to go about solving this infinite system of coupled equations, or how to go about getting the dispersion relation. This recurrence relation has a form that goes both ways so I don't think the generating function/characteristic polynomial method applies. I tried to Z transform it but I got a nasty looking 2nd order diff eq with an irregular singular point.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting this problem for me to help you with. it is my pleasure to assist you in understanding this concept.

To determine the dispersion relations for the three lowest electron bands for a 1-D potential of the form ##U(x) = 2A\cos(\frac{2\pi}{a} x)##, we will need to solve the infinite system of coupled equations you have written down. This system can be solved by using the method of Fourier series.

First, let's define the Fourier coefficients ##c_n(k)## as
$$c_n(k) = \int_{-\frac{a}{2}}^{\frac{a}{2}} \psi_{nk}(x)e^{-ikx} dx$$
where ##\psi_{nk}(x)## is the eigenfunction corresponding to the eigenvalue ##E_n(k)##.

Next, we can express the potential ##U(x) = 2A\cos(\frac{2\pi}{a} x)## as a Fourier series:
$$U(x) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} u_n e^{i\frac{2\pi}{a}nx}$$
where ##u_n## are the Fourier coefficients of the potential.

Using the orthogonality property of Fourier series, we can write the infinite system of equations as
$$\left(\frac{\hbar^2k^2}{2m} - E_n(k)\right)c_n(k) + \sum_{n'} u_{n-n'}c_{n'}(k) = 0$$
where ##n'## runs over all integers.

Solving this system of equations, we can obtain the eigenvalues ##E_n(k)## and the corresponding eigenfunctions ##\psi_{nk}(x)##, which will give us the dispersion relations for the three lowest electron bands.

I hope this helps you understand how to approach this problem. Please let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification.

Related to Bloch Function Recursion Relation of Fourier Components

1. What is the Bloch Function Recursion Relation of Fourier Components?

The Bloch Function Recursion Relation of Fourier Components is a mathematical expression that describes the relationship between the Fourier components of a periodic function and its Bloch function. It is used to calculate the Fourier components of a periodic function based on the Bloch function, which is a solution to the Schrödinger equation in a periodic potential.

2. Why is the Bloch Function Recursion Relation important in science?

The Bloch Function Recursion Relation is important in science because it is a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of electrons in periodic structures, such as crystals. It allows scientists to calculate the electronic properties of materials, which is crucial in fields such as condensed matter physics, materials science, and nanotechnology.

3. How is the Bloch Function Recursion Relation derived?

The Bloch Function Recursion Relation is derived using the concept of translational symmetry, which states that the properties of a crystal are repeated at regular intervals. By applying this principle to the Schrödinger equation, the Bloch function is obtained, and the recursion relation can be derived from it.

4. Can the Bloch Function Recursion Relation be applied to non-periodic systems?

No, the Bloch Function Recursion Relation is specifically designed for periodic systems. However, there are other methods and techniques that can be used to analyze non-periodic systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Bloch Function Recursion Relation?

Yes, the Bloch Function Recursion Relation has many practical applications. It is used in the design and optimization of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, as well as in the development of new materials with specific electronic properties. It also plays a crucial role in the study of semiconductors, superconductors, and other materials used in modern technology.