Blacksmith needs counterbalance help.

• Thread starter EarthBear
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about constructing a blacksmith forge and the problem of counterbalancing a 60-pound hand-crank forge blower. The solution being considered is building a concrete counterbalance stand with a metal tube connecting it to the blower. The blower is an odd shape and there is limited floor space available. The person is seeking advice on how to engineer the stand and is considering using a triangle shape but has been advised that a slab may suffice. They are also concerned about the weight and size of the slab and the potential damage to the antique blower if it were to tip over. One suggestion is to bolt the blower to the floor instead of using a concrete stand.
EarthBear
I am constructing a blacksmith forge and have a bit of a problem regarding counterbalance. This forum helped me in college, but I'm afraid I'm stumped on applying school-physics to DIY engineering.

I have a hand-crank forge blower with a mass of 60 pounds. I need to build a concrete counterbalance stand to place it in. I will be placing the forge blower into the concrete by way of a metal tube connecting the concrete to the blower. There will be a 2" piece of PVC pipe which will be sunk into the concrete that the steel tube will insert into.

The blower is an odd shape, it's about 14 inches diameter for the actual blower, the hand-cranking 'generator' plus blower measures about 15 inches in length, and with the hand crank extended it would be 21 inches in length. I can provide pictures, but I am unsure if this is needed, given the mass provided.

Initially I thought the concrete stand should be a triangle. I have been advised it doesn't have to be such, it can simply be a slab. I have to construct the mold for the concrete, and I am curious as to how large the slab must be dimensionally (and how much concrete mass is required) to provide adequate counterbalance for the 60lb blower.

The blower will be sitting next to the forge to provide air flow to the fire. There isn't a lot of floor space to work with in the tiny area I will be working in: I have about 2 feet by three feet tops of floor space to give a stand before I hit the wall, and honestly I'd prefer not to use that much floor space for a bloody concrete slab!

I may be overthinking this, but the blower is an antique and cannot be replaced if it tips over and cracks. Cast iron doesn't like that kind of force :-)

I am looking for any assistance you can provide to offer me in this construction. It's been a bit since college physics and I figured you all would be more knowledgeable as to what I must engineer. I'm not a builder, I'm an artist :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you need this thing to be mobile? If not, why not just attach a smallish steel flange on the bottom and bolt it to the floor?

Related to Blacksmith needs counterbalance help.

1. What is a counterbalance and why does a blacksmith need help with it?

A counterbalance is a weight or force that is used to offset another weight or force. In the case of a blacksmith, they may need a counterbalance to help balance out the weight of their tools or materials, making it easier to work with them.

2. How can a blacksmith determine the right amount of counterbalance needed?

The amount of counterbalance needed will depend on the weight of the tools or materials being used. A blacksmith can determine the right amount by experimenting with different weights and finding the one that provides the most balance and ease of use.

3. What are some common types of counterbalances used by blacksmiths?

Some common types of counterbalances used by blacksmiths include counterweights, springs, and pulleys. These can provide a counterforce to balance out the weight of the tools or materials being used.

4. Are there any risks associated with using a counterbalance in blacksmithing?

As with any tool or equipment, there are always risks involved. It is important for a blacksmith to use caution and follow proper safety protocols when working with a counterbalance. This includes ensuring the counterbalance is secure and stable, and using appropriate personal protective equipment.

5. Can a blacksmith make their own counterbalance?

Yes, a blacksmith can make their own counterbalance using various materials and techniques. However, it is important to ensure it is properly designed and installed to avoid any accidents or injuries. It may be best to consult with an experienced blacksmith or engineer for guidance.