#BlackInPhysics week (Oct 25 - 31, 2020)

• Thread starter robphy
  • Start date
In summary, Black physicists have been working hard to increase their visibility and make a difference in the field. There is still a long way to go, but #BlackInPhysics week is a great way to start.
robphy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
https://www.blackinphysics.org/
#BlackInPhysics is a week dedicated not only to celebrating Black physicists and our contributions to the scientific community, but also to reveal a more complete picture of what a physicist looks like.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes jedishrfu, jasonRF, DrClaude and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some of the next generation.
"African American Women in Physics"
http://aawip.com/aawip-members/

When I last looked at this list in detail,
I counted fewer than 100 African American women with a PhD in Physics.
Sadly, I think this number is still correct.

Although the list is not definitive, it's probably not too far off.

PhDs in Physics are in the above list. The first was in 1972.
The list above includes PhDs, MS, and graduate students in Physics.
The list include those in related fields (e.g. Astronomy, Applied Physics, Chemical Physics, Engineering, History of Science, etc).
So, some research is needed to count the PhDs in Physics.

My wife got her PhD in Physics in late 2000s and, from our count, she is probably is about 50th.
(We've chatted with someone at AIP to see if there is a definitive list somewhere.
I think there isn't one yet.)

Related to #BlackInPhysics week (Oct 25 - 31, 2020)

1. What is #BlackInPhysics week?

#BlackInPhysics week is a week-long event that celebrates and highlights the contributions of Black physicists to the field of physics. It aims to increase visibility and representation of Black physicists and create a sense of community within the physics community.

2. When is #BlackInPhysics week taking place?

#BlackInPhysics week will take place from October 25th to October 31st, 2020.

3. Who can participate in #BlackInPhysics week?

Anyone can participate in #BlackInPhysics week, regardless of race or background. This event is open to all who support and want to celebrate Black physicists and their contributions to the field.

4. How can I get involved in #BlackInPhysics week?

There are many ways to get involved in #BlackInPhysics week. You can follow the hashtag on social media and engage with posts, share your own experiences as a Black physicist, attend virtual events and talks, and support Black physicists in your own community.

5. Why is #BlackInPhysics week important?

#BlackInPhysics week is important because it brings attention to the underrepresentation of Black physicists in the field and highlights the barriers they face. It also celebrates the achievements and contributions of Black physicists, which can inspire and encourage future generations of Black scientists.