Black Holes & Time: Literal or Figurative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time dilation effect in relation to a black hole and whether it is literal or figurative. The example of a man falling toward a black hole is given, and it is questioned whether the man would experience the universe accelerating in velocity or not notice anything different. The question of whether the appearance of suspension of the falling body is an optical effect or a literal slowing of time is also raised. An example is given of a man being suspended near the event horizon of a black hole for 100 years and what he would experience in that time. The conversation ends with a suggestion to read a thread for further understanding.
Beprepared
Okay, this is me beating a dead horse, but i have a rather simple question.

Is the time dilation effect described in reference to a black hole literal or figurative?

for example, a man falling toward a black hole will appear to slow as he approaches the EH. This effect obviously increases exponentially in inverse relation to the distance of the man to the black hole (and i assume in direct proportion to the distance between the man and his observer)

Would the man also experience the universe "accelerating" in velocity as he slows in relation to the outside observer, or would he simple not notice anything different? I think my real question is, is the appearance of suspension of the falling body simply an optical effect produced by the intense gravity decreasing the rate at which energy can reach an outside observer, or is it LITERAL slowing of time in the frame of the falling body from the perspective of the observer and observed?

Example...

You suspend a man on an unbreakable cord and lower him toward a black hole from a safe distance. You lower him to within a very small distance of the EH (assume the BH is large enough that tidal forces are a non-issue. He is suspended there for 100 year in "real time" and then pulled back in. What would he experience of that time? Would he experience the first 7 days then die, or would he literally experience only moments and witness the universe age 100 years in that time?

Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the link. I'll read it. Looks like it's going to take a while.

Related to Black Holes & Time: Literal or Figurative?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with a gravitational pull so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself.

2. Do black holes really have the power to warp time?

Yes, the extreme gravity of a black hole can cause time to slow down near its event horizon, which is the point of no return.

3. How do we know that black holes exist?

Scientists have observed the effects of black holes on their surrounding environment, such as the distortion of light and the gravitational influence on nearby objects. Additionally, the detection of gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime, provides further evidence for the existence of black holes.

4. Can anything escape from a black hole?

According to our current understanding of physics, nothing can escape from a black hole once it has crossed the event horizon. However, there are some theories that suggest that information may be able to escape through quantum processes.

5. Are black holes a literal or figurative concept?

Black holes are a literal concept that has been confirmed through scientific observations and theories. However, there are some figurative interpretations of black holes in popular culture and literature.