Black Holes: Effects on Space Explored

• B
  • Thread starter Joe_Limon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, a black hole is a region in space with a strong gravitational pull that can distort the trajectories of objects and emit harmful radiation. They cannot be seen directly but their effects can be observed. There are different types of black holes based on their size and mass. The potential dangers of black holes on space exploration include time dilation and disruption of matter flow, which can affect the stability of surrounding celestial bodies.
Joe_Limon
Alright, so if a black hole warps space toward its center. Does this mean that as an observer approaches a black hole they would observe the universe around them expanding? Further, would that observer witness the universe behind them expand away from them, and when they reach the event horizon the universe would be expanding away from the observer at and then over the speed of light, thus making it impossible to escape the black hole?

Also, if gravity is dependant on the space between two masses, wouldn't the black hole effectively weigh many orders of magnitude less due to the warping of space? Effectively, the center of a black hole is much further than the far side of the black hole to an external observer.

Finally, if a black hole has a gravitational field proportional to what it should have given it's mass and ignoring spatial expansion. Then wouldn't that cause issues with the massed particle acting on massed particle view of gravity? Wouldn't it make more sense if gravity was a byproduct of the interaction between particles and how warped space becomes from massed particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
They would see the rest of the Universe red shifting until it becomes no longer detectable.
I'm pretty sure of that much.

These are three different questions, but they all seem to be based on a misconception that gravity is an expansion of space. Gravity is curvature of spacetime.

Likes PeterDonis
What is the difference? Curved space is no longer linear space therefore portions of it have either expanded or collapsed. In the black hole scenario, mass is stretching toward the center. Stretching so much so that there is no direct path out of the hole.

Joe_Limon said:
Does this mean that as an observer approaches a black hole they would observe the universe around them expanding?

No.

Joe_Limon said:
would that observer witness the universe behind them expand away from them, and when they reach the event horizon the universe would be expanding away from the observer at and then over the speed of light, thus making it impossible to escape the black hole?

No.

Joe_Limon said:
if gravity is dependant on the space between two masses

It isn't; at least, it isn't if this means what it appears to me to mean. But "dependent on the space between two masses" is pretty vague, so I can't be sure.

Joe_Limon said:
if a black hole has a gravitational field proportional to what it should have given it's mass and ignoring spatial expansion.

I'm not sure what this means either; a black hole's field is what it "should have been given its mass and ignoring spatial expansion", since the space (and spacetime, for that matter) around a black hole is not expanding.

Joe_Limon said:
Curved space is no longer linear

I'm not sure what you mean by "linear". Curved space is curved, i.e., non-Euclidean.

Joe_Limon said:
therefore portions of it have either expanded or collapsed.

This does not follow. It's perfectly possible to have a curved space that does not change with time, so it isn't expanding or collapsing. The curved space around a black hole is such a curved space. (More precisely, the curved space that you get when you split up the spacetime around a black hole into space and time in a particular way.)

Joe_Limon said:
In the black hole scenario, mass is stretching toward the center. Stretching so much so that there is no direct path out of the hole.

This is not correct. As bcrowell said, your questions appear to be based on some misconceptions about what a black hole is and how it works. It might help in clearing them up if you would give some references for where you are getting these ideas; but in any case, the questions you're asking in this thread are based on misconceptions.

I am closing this thread since the OP is based on misconceptions. Joe_Limon, if you have some references you are working from, PM me and I'll take a look at them.

Related to Black Holes: Effects on Space Explored

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and its core collapses under its own gravity.

2. How do black holes affect space exploration?

Black holes can have a significant impact on space exploration. They can distort the trajectories of objects moving near them, making it difficult for spacecrafts to navigate through space. They can also emit intense radiation that can be harmful to astronauts.

3. Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot see black holes because they do not emit or reflect any light. However, we can observe their effects on surrounding matter and detect their presence through the use of special instruments and techniques, such as X-rays and gravitational lensing.

4. Are there different types of black holes?

Yes, there are several types of black holes, including stellar black holes, intermediate black holes, and supermassive black holes. The type of black hole is determined by its size and mass.

5. What are some potential dangers of black holes on space exploration?

Aside from the effects mentioned earlier, a black hole's strong gravitational pull can also cause time dilation, making it difficult for astronauts to accurately measure time. Black holes can also disrupt the flow of matter in space, which can impact the formation and stability of planets and other celestial bodies in the surrounding area.