Black holes -- Can you chill the particles of a black hole?

In summary: A classical black hole is not subject to the Bekenstein-Hawking formula.In summary, it is possible to theoretically chill the particles of a black hole by making it bigger, which can be achieved by throwing matter into it. However, you cannot directly control the temperature of particles emitted by a black hole. A classical black hole has no temperature or Hawking radiation, and is not subject to the Bekenstein-Hawking formula.
caybrax
TL;DR Summary
I have a strange question on my mind
I want to ask if you can theoretically chill the particles of a black hole and if it is possible to achieve it what will happen

Physics news on Phys.org
caybrax said:
Summary:: I have a strange question on my mind

I want to ask if you can theoretically chill the particles of a black hole and if it is possible to achieve it what will happen
A black hole is a vacuum. It has no particles.

Likes Vanadium 50
i feel strange

berkeman said:
Are you a quark?

He is "A PF Quark", as every newbie in this forum! 🤣

• Haha
Likes atyy, jedishrfu and berkeman
lomidrevo said:
He is "A PF Quark", as every newbie in this forum! 🤣
Better to be a quark than a quack.

Likes atyy
You can chill the particles (Hawking radiation) emitted by a quantum black hole, since after they are emitted, they are no longer in the black hole. However, you do not have any direct control of the temperature of particles emitted by a black hole. The temperature of particles emitted by a black hole is given by the Bekenstein-Hawking formulas (see Eq 1.1 in https://arxiv.org/abs/1410.1486).

The bigger a black hole is, the lower the temperature of its Hawking radiation.
https://phys.org/news/2016-09-cold-black-holes.html

So indirectly, you can lower the temperature of a black hole by making it bigger. You can make a black hole bigger by throwing stuff into it.

A classical black hole has no temperature (or can be said to be at absolute zero), and no Hawking radiation.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK

Related to Black holes -- Can you chill the particles of a black hole?

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself.

2. How do black holes form?

Black holes are formed when a massive star runs out of fuel and collapses in on itself due to its own gravity. The collapse creates a singularity, a point of infinite density and zero volume, surrounded by an event horizon, the point of no return for anything that enters the black hole.

3. Can you chill the particles of a black hole?

No, it is not possible to chill the particles of a black hole. As the particles get closer to the singularity, they experience extreme temperatures and pressures, making it impossible for them to be chilled.

4. Why can't anything escape from a black hole?

The gravitational pull of a black hole is so strong that it warps the fabric of space-time, causing anything that gets too close to be pulled in and unable to escape. This includes particles, light, and even electromagnetic radiation.

5. Can black holes die?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that black holes can die. They are thought to exist indefinitely, constantly growing in size as they consume matter and merge with other black holes.