Black Holes and Gravitational Waves

In summary, a black hole is a singularity in space-time that is so curved that geodesics (such as light and gravitational waves) cannot escape. Gravitational waves follow the same geodesics as light, but they transmit a change in gravity rather than gravity itself. A black hole cannot move or change its mass without an external source causing a change and emitting gravitational waves.
Magister
As far as I know, a black hole is a singularity in the space-time. The space-time becomes so curved that the geodesics can't get out, i.e., the gravitational field becomes so strong that information can not get out.
OK! But what about gravitational waves? As far as I know, gravitational waves are perturbations in the space-time and hence I suppose that they can climb the space-time curvature of the black hole.
I believe that this must be wrong since otherwise the black hole would emit information from inside of the event horizon which I never heard of.

So thinking about this I have come across with some questions. Do the gravitational waves also follow a geodesic in space-time? How can one define a geodesic for the motion of a perturbation of the space-time along this very same space-time? Do the trajectory of a gravitational wave also bend due to the presence of a gravitational field?

Thanks for any answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Magister
That is an interesting question. As far as I know one could see, no i'd rather say look at a Black Hole as some object as one with a radius smaller then its Schwartschild radius, but on larger scale say 10 R_S a Newtonian attractor the same as any other of the same mass. So were the black hole suddenly moved because: "hit by a train or so" this information of gravitation change should be send into space as if it were a classical object. You are right, but also light which is emitted at a right angle from the surface also comes out, but gravitational frequencyshift of a black hole or a small neutron star nullify respectivily almost nullify this. Tangentialy emitted light at the schwartschild radius rotates around the black hole and from a small neutron star spirals out many times before being freeed from the surface. I don't know to much about the question if gravitational waves are bent through gravitation in the same way as light. Recent probe send to space measuring gravitational waves gives perhaps answer to that?
greetings Janm

Gravitational waves follow exactly the same geodesics as light does, and therefore cannot escape from within the event horizon. Note, however, that gravitational waves transmit a change in gravity, not gravity itself.

A black hole cannot just spontaneously move, or change its mass, without some external source causing that change; the external source would cause gravity waves.

Related to Black Holes and Gravitational Waves

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is formed when a massive star dies and collapses under its own gravity, becoming extremely dense and compact.

2. How do we detect black holes?

We cannot directly observe black holes, but we can detect them through their effects on surrounding matter. For example, we can observe the gravitational lensing of light around a black hole or the movement of stars and gas around the black hole.

3. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects. They were first predicted by Einstein's theory of general relativity and were recently detected for the first time in 2015 by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO).

4. How are black holes and gravitational waves related?

Black holes are one of the most significant sources of gravitational waves. When two massive objects, such as black holes, orbit each other, their movement creates ripples in space-time, emitting gravitational waves.

5. What can we learn from studying black holes and gravitational waves?

Studying black holes and gravitational waves can help us better understand the nature of space and time and how gravity works. It can also provide insights into the origins of the universe and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. Additionally, studying gravitational waves can help us detect and study other objects in the universe, such as neutron stars and supernovas.