Black body re-emission of incident radiation

In summary, a black body is an idealized body that absorbs all incident EM radiation and emits a spectrum of thermal radiation dependent on its temperature. When in thermal equilibrium, a black body absorbs and re-emits all incident radiation continuously. However, the emitted spectrum is determined by the body's temperature and may not include visible light, even if visible light is absorbed. This is due to the temperature of the black body being lower than the temperature of the light source. Absorption and emission are independent processes in a black body.
Julianotcp
I know that a black body is an idealized body that absorbs all the incident EM radiation. And I also know that the BB emits a spectrum of thermal radiation that depends on its temperature.

What I cannot understand is the re-emission. For what I've read, when in thermal equilibrium, a BB absorbs and re-emits continuously all the incident radiation. Is that right?

So, when in thermal equilibrium, if a black body absorbs visible light, then why doesn't it re-emit visible light?

Physics news on Phys.org
But it does emit visible light. Every hot glowing body does.

Yes, but my doubt is for the light that it absorbs. Say that a BB is in thermal equilibrium at room temperature, and there is white light inciding on it. Why doesn't the BB re-emits this white light? Where does it go? Does it raise the temperature of the BB?

Obs.: Sorry for my bad english :)

Yes, the white light is absorbed. But, as the BB has a lower temperature as the white light source, the white light will be absorbed and eventually rise the temperature of the BB. However, the BB will only emit the spectrum corresponding to it's temperature, which has it's maximum in the far infrared. Absorption and emission are two completely independent processes in a BB.

Ok, now I understand. Thank you :)

Related to Black body re-emission of incident radiation

1. What is black body re-emission of incident radiation?

Black body re-emission of incident radiation refers to the process by which a black body absorbs and then re-emits all incident radiation that falls on its surface. This phenomenon is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics and is used to explain the emission of heat and light from objects.

2. How does black body re-emission differ from reflection or transmission of radiation?

Unlike reflection and transmission, which only occur at specific wavelengths and angles, black body re-emission occurs at all wavelengths and in all directions. This means that a black body will absorb and emit all radiation that comes into contact with it, regardless of the angle or wavelength.

3. What is the significance of black body re-emission in the study of thermodynamics?

Black body re-emission is a crucial concept in thermodynamics because it helps to explain how energy is transferred and transformed between objects. It also plays a key role in understanding the principles of radiation and heat transfer, which are important in fields such as astrophysics and engineering.

4. How does the temperature of a black body affect its re-emission of incident radiation?

The temperature of a black body has a direct impact on the amount and type of radiation it emits. According to Planck's law, the intensity of radiation emitted by a black body is proportional to the fourth power of its temperature. This means that as the temperature of a black body increases, so does the amount of radiation it emits.

5. Can the concept of black body re-emission be applied to real objects?

While a perfect black body does not exist in nature, the concept of black body re-emission can be applied to real objects. Real objects may have different emissivity values, which determine how much radiation they absorb and emit, but the principles of black body re-emission still apply. Many objects, such as stars and planets, can be approximated as black bodies and their emission of radiation can be studied using this concept.