BJT Early Model Analysis: Proving r0 = (Va + VCE)/IC for Resistance Calculation

In summary: Early model, which is equal to this derivative. Therefore, we can write:r_0 = (0.63I_C)(1/V_A)Simplifying this expression, we get:r_0 = (V_a + V_CE)/I_CAnd there we have it! We have successfully proven the relationship between r_0, V_a, V_CE, and I_C for the Early model.In summary, we have used the Ebers-Moll equation and the definition of the Early voltage to prove that r_0 = (V_a + V_CE)/I_C for the Early model of a BJT. I hope this explanation has been helpful to you. If you have any further questions
Trentonx

Homework Statement

Working with BJT analysis, and varying models for the analysis.
Prove [itex]r_{0}=\frac{V_{a} + V_{CE}}{I_{C}}[/itex], where [itex]r_{0}[/itex] is the resistance for the Early model. I haven't been able to find a circuit or much of anything about this, let alone proving it.

Homework Equations

[itex]i_{C} = I_{s}e^{\frac{V_{BE}}{V_{A}}} (1+\frac{V_{CE}}{V_{A}})[/itex]
[itex]r_{0} = (\frac{\delta i_{C}}{\delta v_{CE}})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I did the partial derivative (that is what Eq2 mean right?) of [itex]i_C[/itex], and that gives me
[itex]i^{'}_{C}=\frac{I_{s}e^{\frac{V_{BE}}{V_{A}}}}{V_{A}}[/itex], but this doesn't simplify in anyway, and it's [itex]i^{'}_{C}[/itex], not just [itex]i_{C}[/itex]. I'm guessing this is the wrong equation, but it's what we've been given.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear poster,

Thank you for your question. I understand your struggle in finding information on this topic, as it is not a commonly discussed concept. However, I am happy to assist you in proving this relationship between r_0, V_a, V_CE, and I_C for the Early model.

To begin, let's first define the Early model for a BJT. The Early model is a simplified model used to approximate the output characteristics of a BJT in the active region. It assumes that the collector current is directly proportional to the collector-emitter voltage, and that the base-emitter voltage remains constant. This model is useful for small-signal analysis and can help us understand the behavior of a BJT in different circuit configurations.

Now, let's look at the equations you have provided. The first equation, i_C = I_s e^(V_BE/V_A) (1 + V_CE/V_A), is known as the Ebers-Moll equation. This is the fundamental equation for the BJT, describing the relationship between the collector current and the base-emitter voltage. The second equation, r_0 = (delta i_C/delta v_CE), is the definition of the Early voltage, which is the slope of the output characteristics curve in the Early model.

To prove the relationship r_0 = (V_a + V_CE)/I_C, we will use the fact that the Early voltage, V_a, is defined as the voltage at which the collector current is equal to 63% of its maximum value. In other words, when V_CE = V_a, the collector current is equal to 0.63 times its maximum value. This can be expressed mathematically as i_C = 0.63I_C, where I_C is the maximum collector current.

Now, let's take the derivative of the Ebers-Moll equation with respect to V_CE:

delta i_C/delta v_CE = (delta/delta v_CE)(I_s e^(V_BE/V_A) (1 + V_CE/V_A))

Using the chain rule, we can rewrite this as:

delta i_C/delta v_CE = (I_s e^(V_BE/V_A))(1/V_A)

Finally, substituting in the expression for i_C at V_CE = V_a, we get:

delta i_C/delta v_CE = (0.63I_C)(1/V_A)

Recall that r_0 is defined as the slope of the

Related to BJT Early Model Analysis: Proving r0 = (Va + VCE)/IC for Resistance Calculation

1. What is BJT Early Model Analysis?

BJT Early Model Analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) in its early stages of operation. It involves using the transistor's small-signal parameters to simplify the analysis and make accurate predictions about its performance.

2. Why is BJT Early Model Analysis important?

BJT Early Model Analysis is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of BJTs in their early stages, which is crucial for designing and optimizing circuits that use BJTs. It also helps in predicting the stability and amplification capabilities of the transistor.

3. What are the key assumptions made in BJT Early Model Analysis?

The key assumptions made in BJT Early Model Analysis include:

• The transistor is operating in the active region.
  • The base-emitter junction is forward biased and the base-collector junction is reverse biased.
  • The collector current is mainly controlled by the base current.
  • The collector current is proportional to the base-emitter voltage.
  • The transistor's small-signal parameters are constant.

4. How is BJT Early Model Analysis performed?

BJT Early Model Analysis involves using the small-signal equivalent circuit of the transistor, which includes the small-signal parameters such as hfe (current gain), rbe (base-emitter resistance), and rce (collector-emitter resistance). These parameters are used to simplify the analysis and determine the voltage and current relationships in the circuit. These values are then used to calculate important parameters such as the voltage gain and input/output impedance.

5. What are the limitations of BJT Early Model Analysis?

Some of the limitations of BJT Early Model Analysis include:

• It can only be applied to transistors operating in the active region.
  • It does not take into account any non-linear effects such as saturation or breakdown.
  • It is not accurate at high frequencies.