BJT differential amplifier biasing

In summary, the biasing in figure 3 of the Differential Amplifierwiki article uses current mirroring between the emitter of transistor Q1 and the collector of transistor Q2. This allows the bias current to be set independently of the supply voltage.
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bias current of the entire op-amp is set up by Q11 and Q12 and 39K resistor. The current setting on the differential pair is set in a very funny way that it almost bias on it's own but is controlled by Q3 and Q4 through their base that connected to collectors of Q9 and Q10.

It is a funny design where most of the op-amp differential stage are not like this. Current in Q5 and Q7 where Q7 is a buffer, mirror to Q6 back to Q2. Q3 and Q4 is biased by Q9 and Q10. Notice emitter of Q1 and 2 drive emitter of Q3 and 4 resp. For example, a positive change of base voltage of Q1 will increase the collector current of Q1which reflect into Q3 and to the current mirror Q5 and Q7 to Q6. Q6 current will increase and pull the collector voltage down. Because current of Q1 increase, current of Q8 increase and cause current of Q9 increase and pull the voltage of the collector of Q9 to increase. This will decrease the current of Q2 and Q4. If you think it's confusing, it is, it goes round and round. All these just to change the current of Q9 and affect the voltage of Q3 and Q4...Back in the circle again!It is a funny design as it's the first and oldest opamp out. That's the reason almost nobody use it except maybe students as it's cheap. I never once use 741 as the speed, offset, noise are so much inferior than any of the newer op-amp. Don't use it as a guide line of op-amp as this design is border line "stupid"...no offense.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what is the modern counterpart of the 741 that is a good general purpose opamp?

There are too many to name. Go to DigiKey and look up that's in your price range, speed range, noise range.....

http://search.digikey.com/us/en/cat/integrated-circuits-ics/linear-amplifiers-instrumentation-op-amps-buffer-amps/2556125

That's the reason there are so many of them around. For multiple opamp, LM324, TLO82,LM358, LM4558.....Too many popular ones to list out.

It is very important to understand the specification of op-amps. Take the time to study the meaning of each specification and choose one that fit you.

yungman said:
Bias current of the entire op-amp is set up by Q11 and Q12 and 39K resistor. The current setting on the differential pair is set in a very funny way that it almost bias on it's own but is controlled by Q3 and Q4 through their base that connected to collectors of Q9 and Q10.

It is a funny design where most of the op-amp differential stage are not like this. Current in Q5 and Q7 where Q7 is a buffer, mirror to Q6 back to Q2. Q3 and Q4 is biased by Q9 and Q10. Notice emitter of Q1 and 2 drive emitter of Q3 and 4 resp. For example, a positive change of base voltage of Q1 will increase the collector current of Q1which reflect into Q3 and to the current mirror Q5 and Q7 to Q6. Q6 current will increase and pull the collector voltage down. Because current of Q1 increase, current of Q8 increase and cause current of Q9 increase and pull the voltage of the collector of Q9 to increase. This will decrease the current of Q2 and Q4. If you think it's confusing, it is, it goes round and round. All these just to change the current of Q9 and affect the voltage of Q3 and Q4...Back in the circle again!

It is a funny design as it's the first and oldest opamp out. That's the reason almost nobody use it except maybe students as it's cheap. I never once use 741 as the speed, offset, noise are so much inferior than any of the newer op-amp. Don't use it as a guide line of op-amp as this design is border line "stupid"...no offense.

741 may not be a great pick to understand opamp internal ckts.
What about the biasing in fig.3 here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_amplifier#Long-tailed_pair
Just biasing using collector and emitter resistors (or current mirror) is enough? Base doesn't need to be 0.7v?

Your figure two is a much more simplistic circuit that really not used in real design as the gain is too low because it use resistors Rc1 and Rc2 as load. And the bias current is set by Re that current change with supply voltage. So the gain is low, common mode rejection is bad.

May I suggest you to look at this one:

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM124.pdf

This is more the kind I would design if I need an op-amp. I design BJT IC before and This is very typical circuit I use, very simple, straight forward. I don't even use darlington at the front end most of the time.

Ignore Q1 and Q2 where they serve to lower the input bias current and increase input resistance. Q3 and Q4 is the differential pair, Q8 and Q9 is the current mirror and Q10 is the second gain stage the drive the darlington Q11 and Q12 to the output push pull stage. Cc is the dominant pole compensation cap that make the amp unity gain stable.

This one is simple, straight forward, it is still being used in designs unlike 741 that is more being talked about in school than really being used just because it was the first one out.

yungman said:
Your figure two is a much more simplistic circuit that really not used in real design as the gain is too low because it use resistors Rc1 and Rc2 as load. And the bias current is set by Re that current change with supply voltage. So the gain is low, common mode rejection is bad.

May I suggest you to look at this one:

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM124.pdf

This is more the kind I would design if I need an op-amp. I design BJT IC before and This is very typical circuit I use, very simple, straight forward. I don't even use darlington at the front end most of the time.

The LM124 is even better. I was going to suggest LM358,but both the 124 and 358 are similar.
I had some problem with the sinking current of LM358. When used as a unity gain buffer, Q13 is off for output voltages less than 0.8v. So sinking current is drastically reduced. Not a good output stage.

Ignore Q1 and Q2 where they serve to lower the input bias current and increase input resistance. Q3 and Q4 is the differential pair, Q8 and Q9 is the current mirror and Q10 is the second gain stage the drive the darlington Q11 and Q12 to the output push pull stage. Cc is the dominant pole compensation cap that make the amp unity gain stable.

This one is simple, straight forward, it is still being used in designs unlike 741 that is more being talked about in school than really being used just because it was the first one out.

You meant ignore Q1,Q4?

DragonPetter said:
I'm curious, what is the modern counterpart of the 741 that is a good general purpose opamp?

One opamp that I like is the CA3140. It has mosfets for the input transistors so the input impedance is 1.5 teraohms. This has advantages for some kinds of high impedance sensors. It has a slew rate of 9V/uS which is enough for audio purposes whereas the slew rate of a 741 is only 0.5 V/uS. (A 1V pk signal at 20 kHz requires about 8V/uS). Unfortunately they only come one to a package.

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/intersil/fn957.pdf

Related to BJT differential amplifier biasing

1. How does a BJT differential amplifier work?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) differential amplifier is a type of amplifier circuit that uses two BJTs to amplify the difference between two input signals. The two BJTs are connected in a differential configuration, where one BJT amplifies the positive input signal and the other amplifies the negative input signal. The amplified difference between the two signals is then outputted as the overall output signal.

2. What is the purpose of biasing in a BJT differential amplifier?

Biasing in a BJT differential amplifier is used to set the operating point of the transistors. This ensures that the transistors are in the linear region, where they can accurately amplify the input signals. Biasing also helps to stabilize the amplifier and reduce distortion in the output signal.

3. What are the different types of biasing in a BJT differential amplifier?

There are three main types of biasing in a BJT differential amplifier: fixed bias, self-bias, and collector-feedback bias. Fixed bias uses a voltage divider circuit to set the base bias voltage, self-bias uses the feedback from the output signal to set the bias, and collector-feedback bias uses a resistor connected from the collector to the base to set the bias.

4. How do you choose the appropriate biasing method for a BJT differential amplifier?

The appropriate biasing method for a BJT differential amplifier depends on the specific application and design requirements. Fixed bias is the simplest method, but it may not provide the best stability. Self-bias is more stable but may require more components. Collector-feedback bias provides the best stability but may be more complex and require careful design.

5. What are the potential issues with biasing in a BJT differential amplifier?

If the biasing is not properly set, it can lead to distortion in the output signal, which affects the accuracy of the amplifier. Biasing also creates a trade-off between stability and gain; a biasing method that provides better stability may result in lower gain and vice versa. Additionally, changes in temperature can affect the biasing and therefore the performance of the amplifier. Proper design and testing are necessary to ensure optimal biasing in a BJT differential amplifier.