Bivariate discrete random variable

In summary, we are trying to find the correlation coefficient of the number of heads and the number of draws in a Poisson distribution. We know that the variance of N is 1, and we can use the joint distribution to find the mean and variance of X. From there, we can calculate the covariance and use it to find the correlation coefficient.
Yankel
Hello

I am trying to solve this problem:

A coin is given with probability 1/3 for head (H) and 2/3 for tail (T).
The coin is being drawn N times, where N is a Poisson random variable with E(N)=1. The drawing of the coin and N are independent. Let X be the number of heads (H) in the N draws. What is the correlation coefficient of X and N ?

So I started this by creating a table as if it was a finite problem, just to see how it behaves, but it didn't lead me too far. Since there is independence, every event P(X=x , N=n) is equal to P(X=x|N=n)*P(N=n). So this is like a tree diagram sample space. In order to find the correlation, I need the covariance and the variances. The variance of N, it's easy, 1. How do I find the rest of the stuff ?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello

I am trying to solve this problem:

A coin is given with probability 1/3 for head (H) and 2/3 for tail (T).
The coin is being drawn N times, where N is a Poisson random variable with E(N)=1. The drawing of the coin and N are independent. Let X be the number of heads (H) in the N draws. What is the correlation coefficient of X and N ?

So I started this by creating a table as if it was a finite problem, just to see how it behaves, but it didn't lead me too far. Since there is independence, every event P(X=x , N=n) is equal to P(X=x|N=n)*P(N=n). So this is like a tree diagram sample space. In order to find the correlation, I need the covariance and the variances. The variance of N, it's easy, 1. How do I find the rest of the stuff ?

Thanks !

You have \(\bar{N}\), \(\sigma_N\) and the joint distribution, so:

\(\displaystyle \bar{X} = \sum_{n=0..\infty, x=0,..n} x f_{X,N}(x,n)=\sum_{n=0..\infty} \frac{n}{3}f_N(n)=\frac{1}{3}\bar{N}\)

\(\displaystyle \sigma^2_X= \sum_{n=0..\infty, x=0,..n} (x-\bar{X})^2 f_{X,N}(x,n)=\sum_{n=0..\infty}\frac{2n}{3}f_N(n)=\frac{2}{3}\bar{N}\)

\(\displaystyle {\rm{Cov}}(X,N)= \sum_{n=0..\infty, x=0,..n} (x-\bar{X})(n-\bar{N}) f_{X,N}(x,n)=\sum_{n=0..\infty}\frac{(n-\bar{N})^2}{3}f_N(n)=\frac{\sigma^2_N}{3}\)

so:

\(\displaystyle \rho_{X,N}=\frac{{\rm{Cov}}(X,N)}{\sigma_X \sigma_N}=\ ...\)

The key idea here is that for the double summation you can always choose to do that over \(x\) first.

Last edited:

Related to Bivariate discrete random variable

1. What is a bivariate discrete random variable?

A bivariate discrete random variable is a statistical concept that refers to a pair of random variables that are both discrete, meaning they can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values. This type of variable is often used to analyze the relationship between two variables in a given population or sample.

2. How is a bivariate discrete random variable different from a univariate discrete random variable?

A univariate discrete random variable only refers to a single random variable, while a bivariate discrete random variable refers to a pair of random variables. This means that a bivariate discrete random variable has two dimensions, making it better suited for analyzing the relationship between two variables.

3. What is the difference between a bivariate discrete random variable and a bivariate continuous random variable?

The main difference between these two types of variables is that a bivariate discrete random variable can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while a bivariate continuous random variable can take on any value within a given range. This means that a bivariate continuous random variable is better suited for analyzing the relationship between two continuous variables.

4. How is the joint probability distribution of a bivariate discrete random variable calculated?

The joint probability distribution of a bivariate discrete random variable is calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each variable occurring together. This can be represented in a table or graph called a contingency table or scatter plot, which shows the frequency of each possible combination of values for the two variables.

5. What are some applications of bivariate discrete random variables in scientific research?

Bivariate discrete random variables are commonly used in scientific research to analyze the relationship between two variables. They can be used in fields such as psychology, sociology, economics, and biology to study various phenomena, such as the effect of one variable on another, the strength of a relationship between two variables, and the prediction of one variable based on another.