Bit foggy on this trig question

• Thread starter yoleven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Trig
In summary, to find the arccos of 1, you first need to know that the cosine of 2π is equal to 1. Then, using the fact that arccos is the inverse of cosine, you can determine that the arccos of 1 is 2π. This can also be represented as arccos(1/√2) = π/4, where π/4 is one of the possible solutions.
yoleven

Homework Statement

arccos(cos2[tex]\Pi[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

cos of 2[tex]\Pi[/tex] =1
how do I get the arccos of 1? Without a calculator.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use either some log tables or your memory. More specifically if you know how to sketch the graph of a cos function then you would know immediately that [tex]\cos (2\pi n) = 1 [/tex] where n is any integer (including 0).

Yes, I know how to get cos of 2[tex]\Pi[/tex]. It equals 1
I don't know how to get arccos of 1.
Could you help me with that?

I know that, for instance arccos [tex]\stackrel{\Pi}{4}[/tex] = [tex]\stackrel{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]

But how do I figure out arccos 1.

I know it = 0 but I can't see how to derive this

arccos is inverse function of cos. So If you know that cos(2п)=1 you will know that arccos(1)=2п. Do you understand now?

Regards.

P.S arccos(1 / √2) = п/4

Last edited:
For any number, x, between 0 and [itex]\pi[/itex], arccos(cos(x))= x. That follows from the very definition of "arccos".

Related to Bit foggy on this trig question

1. What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles.

2. What is a trigonometric function?

A trigonometric function is a mathematical function that relates the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides, such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. How do I solve a trigonometry problem?

To solve a trigonometry problem, you will need to use the given information about the sides and angles of a triangle to apply the appropriate trigonometric function and find the missing value.

4. What are the common applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, architecture, and navigation, to name a few. It is also helpful in solving real-life problems involving angles and distances.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometry?

To improve your understanding of trigonometry, it is important to practice solving different types of problems and familiarize yourself with the various trigonometric identities and their applications. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to reinforce your learning.