American High School Seniors: Decision Day is Here!

In summary, for all American high school seniors, it is decision day for college choices with May 1st as the deadline. One student is heading to the California Institute of Technology, while another is going to Stanford. Other seniors have not yet revealed their college plans. The conversation also deviated to discussing the difficulty of certain majors and the topic of perverts.
cookiemonster
And for all of the American high school seniors, that means it's decision day! Final decisions for which college to attend are due May 1st, so by now everybody must know where they're going.

So where are you going?

Personally, I'm headed off to Pasadena, CA for four years of pain and suffering at the California Institute of Technology.

cookiemonster

Physics news on Phys.org
Best of luck, cookiemonster, at Caltech...I'll never forget the incredibly intelligent kid (that's YOU) who saved my dream of being a sonographer...what a good soul you are! So generous with your time and intelligence...I am sure you will be the best and brightest student at Caltech! Just be careful out in the big wide world...

Cool!

Nice, cookiemonster! Maybe you'll meet my sister while in southern California... :wink: she's going to Stanford, if you were wondering. :biggrin: Giving honor to the family and all that. I can't wait 'till I graduate, it'll be lots of fun! Have fun down there, and keep on the lookout for redheads!

I find it hard to believe that there's only one senior around...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, holly! I don't think I'll be the best and brightest there, but I'll still be there! And that has to count for something. =]

rathma, will-do.

cookiemonster

hoho hey cookiemonster good luck

cookiemonster, will you still have time to post on Physics Forums? I heard Caltech is a pretty gruelling experience for most people. Hope that we'll still be seeing you around. Good luck!

I hope I will, recon. But you know, they say you make your own free time there. So I'll still try to get on, but it's not very likely that I'll be as active as I am now. You'll have to say good bye to 10+ post a day...

And where're all the other seniors? Spit it out!

cookiemonster

cookiemonster said:
I hope I will, recon. But you know, they say you make your own free time there. So I'll still try to get on, but it's not very likely that I'll be as active as I am now. You'll have to say good bye to 10+ post a day...

And where're all the other seniors? Spit it out!

cookiemonster

As long as you know what your priorities are (and come here under the pretence that it will help your grades) you will be able to keep on posting. I am going to Purdue University I know it isn’t the same as Cal Tech but I still manage to find time to kill on the internet. And what better place to spend time online than PF.

Cookiemonster what are you majoring in?

Good luck

Well done, Cookie. I hope you will still find time for us on PF after all the book hitting and girl chasing :biggrin: .

I'm sure I'll find time at least the first year. Pass/fail is a wonderful thing, I hear. We'll talk again in a year, though. =]

Physics, Macgyver. It's reputed to be very difficult... But not as bad as Chemical Engineering.

But why would I hit my nice books...? That's so mean...

And where are all the other seniors?! I know you're out there...

cookiemonster

That's great, Cookie Monster. I just heard a physicist from Cal Tech speak yesterday at a UCLA seminar on astronomy. He was talking about his research on Gamma Ray bursts. Gee, I thought all they did was study earthquakes over there at CalTech - who knew??
Good luck to you!

I'm thinking about going to college in Pomona Polytechnic in Southern California this fall. I heard a girl was abducted there. Very cool.

abducted there? cool? ...

I was a senior last year, but I'm going into the first year of post secondary - for the second time :biggrin:. I'm taking chemistry at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT). I think that as a result of that, I'll be coming here a lot more. Not to help others or ask questions, but to just read stuff and stay on the ball with math; math is one of those things that will escape you unless you actively try to retain it.

expscv said:
abducted there? cool? ...

By aliens...I think.

Abducted by aliens=cool.
Abducted by perverts<>cool.

Njorl

Njorl said:
Abducted by perverts<>cool.
lol, Pascal is a loser language. The C/C++ way would be perverts != cool :wink:

Heh. Considering what I've done most of my programming in, I should have written

(abducted_by_perverts .NE. cool)

Njorl

I'll assume it's a joke relating to some old school language... Fortran?

ShawnD said:
I'll assume it's a joke relating to some old school language... Fortran?

Fortran it is. The relators in Fortran were .LT. , .GT., .EQ., .NE., .LE., .GE.

I always assumed that the whole point of fortran was to maximize the possibility of syntax errors.

lol no kidding.

Esperanto never really said who abducted who did he? Maybe he's into perverts though. Perverted women are the best.

Pervert:
1. A person whose behavior deviates from what is acceptable especially in sexual behavior

Now compare that with kinky

Kinky:
1. Informal terms; strikingly unconventional

And of course as you already know, kinky is better. Therefore, perverts are awesome :biggrin:

I can't believe you guys hijacked my thread with that.

cookiemonster

Never realized how far off topic I was getting there, sorry.

So... any cool things about your school?
Mine has a bar with reasonably priced drinks. Beers are $2.50 per pint or $8 per pitcher. Beers are $0.99 on tuesdays. The lab equipment is top notch as well. Since NAIT supplies a lot of well trained grads to companies (as opposed to Universities which create researchers), NAIT gets a lot of donations from companies. HP built the tech building, call the HP Centre. All computers and chemistry analysis equipment is from HP. Esso donates gasoline (useful for cleanup after oil labs). Dow chemicals donates various chemicals. Various hardware companies donate supplies for the mechanical based programs like automotive mechanics, heavy duty mechanics, and woodshop programs. Most of the campus has wireless internet access for those who want to get work done on laptops with wireless internet.
Overall, it's a pretty damn good school compared to the local university.

My university has a whole webcomic devoted to it.

http://www.cripplingdepression.com

Plus it's got tunnels under it. And you can use them to break into the building to turn your homework in if need be.

And one of the houses owns a live goat. Why a live goat? I don't know. But there's a live goat.

cookiemonster

My school has tunnels too. It's easy to see where the tunnels are in winter because there are strips on the road where there is never any ice :biggrin:.

And the best part is that there's no snow or ice, like a certain other university...

cookiemonster

Ice is a huge problem here because the parking lots tend to slope inward for some reason. Slope + ice = very hard to walk or drive!

Thank god I take the bus to get there. If I had to drive, my car would be totally fugged by the end of the year. Theft is also a huge problem here because only the teacher's parking lot has security guards. Last semester, a guy in my engineering classes had his truck broken into. The guys took a $100 stereo but caused $1500 worth of damage on the door to get it.

Leave your car at home.

I don't think I could afford the insurance even if I wanted to. =\

cookiemonster

Gatech goer here. 2nd senior here I guess...

1. What is "Decision Day" for American high school seniors?

"Decision Day" is the deadline for high school seniors to make their final decision on where they will attend college. It is usually on May 1st, the National College Decision Day, but some colleges may have different dates.

2. How do high school seniors make their decision on which college to attend?

High school seniors typically make their decision based on several factors, including academic programs, location, cost, campus culture, and personal preferences. They may also consider factors such as financial aid packages, housing options, and extracurricular opportunities.

3. What should American high school seniors do if they are still undecided on Decision Day?

If a high school senior is still undecided on Decision Day, they should talk to their school counselors and college admissions counselors to weigh their options. They may also want to consider attending a college fair or visiting campuses to get a better understanding of the schools they are considering.

4. Can high school seniors change their minds after committing to a college on Decision Day?

Yes, high school seniors can change their minds after committing to a college on Decision Day. However, they should be aware that there may be consequences, such as losing their deposit or having to reapply to the college if they decide to change their decision later on.

5. What happens if a high school senior misses Decision Day?

If a high school senior misses Decision Day, they should contact the college admissions office as soon as possible to explain the situation. Depending on the circumstances, the college may still consider their application or offer an extension for the decision deadline.