Bird Travels Distance Between Trains

In summary: It will take you to a page where you can find the answer.In summary, the bird flies a total of 720 kilometers in one hour.
hytuoc
Plz help me w/ this problem...thanks
Two trains, each hav ing a speed of 30 km/h, are headed at each other on the same straight track. A bird that can fly 60km/h flies off the front of one train when they r 60km apart and heads directly for the other train. On reaching the other train it flies directly back to the first train, n so forth. What is the total distance the bird travels?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to give more information, like how far apart the trains are. Here's a hint, figure out the amount of time the bird is aloft first.

What approaches have you tried?

Like pervect said, you need to specify the initial distance between the two trains.

Also: you say that the bird can fly 60km/h. Do you mean to say '60km/h' added onto the trains velocity? Or, due to it's size and shape, can only reach 60km/h at the max, due to air resistance? In which casem the factor of Frame of reference comes into play.

So, specify whether the birds velocity is 60km/h relative to the ground, or the train, also, the initial distance between the trains :)

[r.D]

The other guys said it right. It wasn't specified whether the bird can go 60k/h with respect to the ground or the train it left from but I'll assume with respect to the ground. If both trains are heading toward each other at 30k/h, it will take them one hour to meet correct? If the bird flies as fast as possible in one hour, how far could it have gone?

A similar question was asked on PF several months ago. You can access it here: https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/t-21453_Tips_for_problem.html.

Lets not confuse hytuoc with relative velocity, okay? I don't think this problem would be so conjugated. Since we are on this topic, I would also like to say that the length of the bird's body is not specified. Hence, the problem cannot be solved unless we assume the bird to be a 1D object, which is an impossible situation. :wink:

hytuoc, ignore what we have all just said if you confused, and just click on my link above.

Related to Bird Travels Distance Between Trains

1. How is the distance between trains calculated?

The distance between trains is calculated by multiplying the speed of the trains by the amount of time they have been traveling. This gives the total distance traveled by each train, and the difference between the two distances gives the distance between the trains.

2. What factors affect the distance between trains?

The distance between trains is affected by the speed of the trains, the length of the trains, and the time it takes for the trains to pass each other. Other factors such as track length, curves, and train schedule can also play a role.

3. Can the distance between trains change during the journey?

Yes, the distance between trains can change during the journey. This can happen if one train speeds up or slows down, or if there are delays or changes in the train schedule. Additionally, changes in track conditions or weather can also affect the distance between trains.

4. How accurate is the calculation of the distance between trains?

The calculation of the distance between trains can be very accurate if all factors are known and accounted for. However, small variations in speed, length of the trains, or timing can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. How is the distance between trains relevant in the study of bird travel?

The distance between trains is relevant in the study of bird travel as it can impact the flight path and behavior of birds. Birds can use the trains as landmarks or resting points during their migration journey, and the distance between trains can also affect the timing and duration of their flights. Additionally, the presence of trains can also pose a threat to the safety of birds during their travels.