Biot-Savarts law: Off-axis radial field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the off-axis x-component of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying coil. The speaker is discussing their understanding of the problem and shares an equation for the magnitude of the field. They are seeking help in finding the radial component along x and mentions that this type of calculation requires advanced math.
Niles

Homework Statement

Hi

I am trying to find the off-axis x-component of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying coil. The on-axis case is done here, where the axial (z-) field is found and the x-component is of course 0 due to symmetry.

I am pretty sure I know how to do it: I end up getting

[tex]
B \propto \int_{0}^{2\pi}{\frac{Rz_0}{(z_0^2 + (x_0-R\sin\phi))^{3/2}}d\phi}
[/tex]
where R is the coil-radius, z0 is the (axial) distance from the coil-axis and x0 the radial distance away from the symmetry axis. However, this is the magnitude of the field - I am trying to find only the radial component along x, which is what I am stuck with.

I'd be very happy to get a hint or two.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are calling x and "(axial) distance from the coil-axis" but in general any computation of off-axis mag field of a single coil like this requires advanced math including elliptic integrals. Not for the timid.

Related to Biot-Savarts law: Off-axis radial field

What is Biot-Savarts law?

Biot-Savarts law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the magnetic field generated by a current-carrying wire to the distance from the wire and the orientation of the wire.

What is an off-axis radial field?

An off-axis radial field is a magnetic field that is not aligned with the axis of a current-carrying wire, but instead points in a radial direction away from the wire.

How is Biot-Savarts law used to calculate an off-axis radial field?

To calculate an off-axis radial field using Biot-Savarts law, the distance from the wire, the orientation of the wire, and the magnitude of the current must be known. These values are plugged into the formula for Biot-Savarts law, which involves a vector cross product.

What are some applications of Biot-Savarts law and off-axis radial fields?

Biot-Savarts law and off-axis radial fields are used in a variety of applications, such as designing magnetic coils for MRI machines, calculating the magnetic field of a planet or star, and studying the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field.

Are there any limitations to Biot-Savarts law and off-axis radial fields?

While Biot-Savarts law is a powerful tool for calculating magnetic fields, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the current-carrying wire is infinitely thin and straight, and does not take into account the effects of other nearby wires or magnetic materials. Additionally, it is only valid for steady currents and does not account for time-varying fields.