Biophysics Problem -- Summation Issues

In summary, the goal of this conversation was to find a differential equation for the average number of mRNAs in a cell at any given time t. This was achieved by summing over all the differential equations derived in part a), resulting in an equation of the form d<m>/dt = Σ m * dPm/dt. The next step was to eliminate the p(t) terms from the right hand side. This was done by separating the kp and km terms and manipulating the equation using substitutions such as m' = m - 1 and shifting of indices. However, further guidance was needed on how to proceed with the manipulations.
nisler.1

Homework Statement

The average number of mRNAs in the cell at any time t is <m>(t) = Σ m * p(t). Sum over all the differential equations derived in a) in order to obtain a differential equation for <m>(t)

Homework Equations

So the differential equation I got in a) was dp/dt = (-kp * Pm) - (m * km * Pm) + (kp * Pm-1) + ((m+1) * km * Pm+1)

That would make d<m>/dt = Σ m * dPm/dt = Σ m * ((-kp * Pm) - (m * km * Pm) + (kp * Pm-1) + ((m+1) * km * Pm+1))

What I need is d<m>/dt without any p(t)'s left on the right hand side

The Attempt at a Solution

I first separated the kp and km terms:

d<m>/dt = Σ m * kp * (-Pm + Pm-1) + Σ m * km * ((-m * Pm) + ((m+1) * Pm+1))

Now I know I have to manipulate this using substitutions such as m' = m -1, m = (m-1) + 1, and shifting of indices, but I am completely unsure how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry I forgot to mention, the summations are from m = 0 to infinity

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It often helps to write down the first few terms of those sums explicitely. You'll see what cancels and what does not.

Related to Biophysics Problem -- Summation Issues

1. What is biophysics and why is it important?

Biophysics is a scientific discipline that combines principles from biology and physics to study the physical processes and mechanisms of living organisms. It is important because it helps us understand how biological systems function at a molecular level and provides insights into the fundamental processes of life.

2. What are the main challenges in solving biophysics problems related to summation?

The main challenges in solving biophysics problems related to summation include accurately measuring and quantifying biological processes, understanding the complex interactions between different biomolecules, and developing mathematical models that can accurately describe these processes.

3. What are some common techniques used in biophysics to address summation issues?

Some common techniques used in biophysics to address summation issues include X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy, and fluorescence spectroscopy. These techniques allow scientists to visualize and analyze the structure and dynamics of biomolecules, providing valuable insights into their function and interactions.

4. How does biophysics contribute to advancements in medicine and healthcare?

Biophysics plays a crucial role in medicine and healthcare by providing a deeper understanding of the mechanisms underlying diseases and developing new treatments. For example, biophysicists use techniques such as molecular dynamics simulations and protein engineering to design new drugs and therapies that can target specific biological processes.

5. What are some current research topics in biophysics related to summation issues?

Some current research topics in biophysics related to summation issues include understanding the molecular basis of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, investigating the mechanisms of protein aggregation and misfolding, and developing new methods for drug delivery and targeted therapies.