Biology (translation) extremely confused, final is tomorrow

In summary, the given DNA sequence was mutated from 5'-AGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA to 5'-AGAAGAGAGATCGAGAGA, and the corresponding amino acid sequence generated is ser-ser-leu (C). This is because the question assumes that the given sequence is the coding strand and not the non-coding strand, and translation occurs in the 5' to 3' direction. However, if the non-coding strand is given or mentioned, the complementary strand must be created before translation.
SA32

Homework Statement

8) Suppose the following DNA sequence was mutated from 5'-AGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA to

5'-AGAAGAGAGATCGAGAGA. What amino acid sequence will be generated based on this mutated DNA?

A) glu-arg-glu-leu-leu-leu

B) ser-leu-ser-leu-ser-leu

C) ser-ser-leu

D) leu-phe-arg-glu-glu-glu

E) arg-glu-arg-glu-arg-glu

The Attempt at a Solution

DNA template strand: 5' AGA - AGA - GAG - ATC - GAG - AGA 3'
mRNA strand: 3' UCU - UCU - CUC - UAG - CUC - UCU 5'

But ribosomes read mRNA in the 5' to 3' direction.

mRNA strand: 5' UCU - CUC - GAU - CUC - UCU - UCU 3'
protein: ser - leu - asp - leu - ser - ser

But this isn't one of the choices.

I get C (ser ser leu) if I read from 3' to 5', because UAG is a stop codon, but I'm staring at a video that shows a ribosome reading the mRNA strand 5' to 3'. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Based on wording on the question, you have to assume that the sequence they give you is the sequence that will be translated and not it's complementary sequence.

Essentially the question gives you the coding strand and not the anti-coding/non-coding strand. Transcription from DNA to RNA is made using the non-coding strand.

C is the right answer.

For future reference, look at the wording of the sentence, if anti-coding/non-coding sequence is ever used, the question is asking you to create the complementary strand before starting translation. If coding strand present or non-coding strand is absent, you don't need to create the complementary strand.

This is not fast and steady rule but it hold true most of the time.

Last edited:

it is important to understand the directionality of DNA and RNA and how it affects translation. In this case, it seems that there was a misunderstanding in the direction of the mRNA strand. Ribosomes read mRNA in the 5' to 3' direction, but the mRNA strand given in the question is already in the 5' to 3' direction. Therefore, the correct mRNA strand would be 5' UCU - CUC - GAU - CUC - UCU - UCU 3'. This would result in the amino acid sequence ser-leu-asp-leu-ser-ser, which matches with choice B. It is also important to note that the stop codon, UAG, should be excluded from the amino acid sequence as it does not code for an amino acid. I hope this helps clarify your confusion and good luck on your final tomorrow!

Related to Biology (translation) extremely confused, final is tomorrow

What is the definition of biology?

Biology is the scientific study of living organisms, including their physical structure, chemical processes, and behavior.

What does "translation" mean in the context of biology?

Translation refers to the process by which genetic information encoded in DNA is converted into proteins, the building blocks of all living organisms.

Why do I feel extremely confused about biology?

Biology can be a complex and vast subject, covering various topics such as genetics, ecology, and evolution. It is normal to feel overwhelmed or confused when studying for a final exam.

How can I prepare for my biology final tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for a biology final is to review all of the material covered in class, practice with sample questions, and make sure you understand key concepts and terminology.

What are some common misconceptions about biology?

Some common misconceptions about biology include the belief that evolution is just a theory, that all bacteria are harmful, and that humans are the most evolved species on Earth. It is important to have a thorough understanding of biology to dispel these misconceptions.