Biology and Physics? Biophysics, biomimetics ?

In summary, the conversation is about a grade 12 physics student looking for potential topics for an upcoming physics project that incorporates biology, specifically zoology. The assignment is to create a display and presentation for students in grades 9-12. The student has come up with two topic ideas so far: biomimetics and animal locomotion. They are looking for suggestions to develop these topics or for additional topics related to basic physics concepts. Some suggestions include organic solar cells, quantum biology, and the physics of senses in humans and other animals. Another interesting topic related to biomimetics is the use of optics in butterfly wings to create useful devices.
Sean E.
I am a grade 12 physics student and I am looking into potential topics/concepts for an upcoming physics 'fair-style' project. I have a stong interest in biology, especially zoology, and would like to come up with a project that incorporates both disciplines of science. The assignment is to create a display (including informative posters, hands-on activities, demonstration, etc) and an 8-10 minute presentation, designed to entertain and educate students (from grades 9-12) from my school. Topic choice is pretty open, buy the presentation/display needs to outline one or more physics concept.

I've come up with 2 topic ideas so far:
1. Biomimetics - velcro, adhesives based on gecko setae/'toe pads', synthetic 'shark skin' materials, etc.
2. Animal locomotion - how animals move, examining the mechanics of their motion, etc.

Both topics seem interesting to me, especially biomimetics, but I'm finding it hard to come up with demos/activities, and to link them to relatively basic physics concepts.

Does anyone have any ideas for additional topics? Or suggestions as to how I can develop the topics listed above (i.e. linking to physics concepts, demonstration and/or activities, etc.)?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Sean

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody has any ideas?

Perhaps organic solar cells could be an interesting topic. Maybe explain solar spectrum and how our eye got adapted. Describe how does measuring process of some animals look like... there are quite many topics out there, all could be interesting or very boring.

The physics of how senses work is a good topic? How does the human eye work? What is the role of the cones, rods etcetera. How does the eye respond to different light levels and different wavelengths within the visible spectrum? What is the Purkinje Effect?

Human hearing is also a good one - how does the human ear detect frequency? what is the role of the cochlea? Hair cells in the cochlea?

Other animals also have interesting senses you could use: A snake's sense of smell. How an electric eel uses an electric field to sense its surroundings. Etc.

On the topic of biomimetics, a lot of really cool optics goes into how butterfly wings generate color. There are some examples of scientists using the same principles to create useful devices.

http://www.physorg.com/news85033468.html

Related to Biology and Physics? Biophysics, biomimetics ?

1. What is the difference between biology and physics?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment, while physics is the study of matter and energy and how they interact with each other in the physical world.

2. What is biophysics?

Biophysics is a branch of science that combines principles from both biology and physics to study biological systems at a molecular, cellular, and organismal level.

3. What is biomimetics?

Biomimetics is the practice of using principles and designs from nature to solve human problems and create new technologies. It often involves studying biological systems and adapting them for human use.

4. How are biology and physics related?

Biology and physics are closely related as both fields seek to understand the natural world. Many biological processes, such as cellular respiration and muscle movement, rely on physical principles and laws.

5. What are some real-world applications of biophysics and biomimetics?

Biophysics and biomimetics have a wide range of applications, including the development of new medical treatments, the design of more efficient and sustainable technologies, and the creation of new materials inspired by nature.