Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern [Boston]

In summary, the conversation discusses the bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern University in Boston and whether it guarantees a job through their co-op program and initial salary expectations. It is noted that no degree guarantees a job, but bioinformatics is currently a highly employable field. The conversation also mentions the abundance of biotech firms in the Massachusetts area and the employability of bioinformatics at a PhD level. However, there may be a glass ceiling for bioinformatics professionals in terms of reaching higher management positions. Overall, it is not a major concern at the moment.
kari Vivian
Hello everyone,
m a medico.. i was wondering how's the bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern[Boston].. Does their co-op program guarantee a job? how are the salaries initially? would be a great help if someone shares any info.

No degree guarantees a job, but as you may know, bioinformatics is a pretty employable degree right at this moment.

And isn't Massachusetts an area booming with biotech firms anyway? You probably know more about that than me.
I am in an entire different part of the world and I always hear bioinformatics is among the most employable degrees and when I look at vacancies site at PhD lvl in biotech/biochemistry, they sure do come up a lot.

Only thing may be that if you are aiming for the all highest, all things being equal, is the bioinformatic the most likely person to run the whole lab, the entire research department, or the entire company? Glass ceiling for you may be being in charge of all the other bioinformaticians. If you want to make money you have to own the business or be a manager. Your skills may be too precious and too niche and you may be too hard to replace to be promoted to management.
Something to really worry about right now? Probably not.

1. What is the duration of the Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern?

The Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern is a 2-year, full-time program.

2. What are the prerequisites for applying to the Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern?

Applicants must have a bachelor's degree in a related field such as biology, computer science, or mathematics. They should also have a strong background in biology, computer science, and mathematics.

3. Is the Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern a research-based program?

Yes, the program has a strong emphasis on research and students have the opportunity to work on research projects with faculty members.

4. Can I pursue the Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern part-time?

Yes, the program offers a part-time option for students who are unable to attend full-time. This option takes 3-4 years to complete.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates of the Bioinformatics MS program at Northeastern?

Graduates of the program can pursue careers in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, healthcare, and academia. Some job titles include bioinformatics analyst, data scientist, and research scientist.