Biochemistry: Why does a high pH kill/inhibit yeast function?

In summary, the influence of pH on yeast function is that it affects the charges of amino acids, which in turn can disrupt the electrostatic forces that maintain the shape of enzymes. This can lead to misfolding and inhibition of the fermentation process.
Orlando
I am conducting a wine analysis experiment for my undergraduate biochemistry course and am a bit stuck on the influence of pH on yeast function. Why does a high H(+) concentration kill the yeast or inhibit its growth/metabolisation of the glucose? I am guessing that the hydrogen ions somehow break down the enzymes within the cell that catalyse the fermentation process? If anyone knows what's going on I would greatly appreciate the help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
subbed for interest. Doing wine chemistry this term

Enzymes are proteins, which means that they are composed of a long chain of amino acids that folds into a specific shape. This overall folding of the protein precisely positions the side chains of a few amino acids to form a so-called active site that can catalyze chemical reactions. A variety of intermolecular forces hold the protein in this shape. One important force is electrostatic interactions between positively and negatively charged amino acid residues.

pH becomes important in determining the shape that proteins adopt because at different pH values, certain amino acid side chains can become charged or uncharged. For example, the amino acid histidine has a positive charge at pH values below ~6 and a neutral charge at pH values above ~6. Since pH affects the charges of amino acids, it will affect the electrostatic forces that maintain an enzymes shape. At pH values far from the ideal pH of an enzyme, many important amino acid residues will have the wrong charge and therefore,the enzyme will not be able to fold into the right shape to function properly.

tl;dr: changing the pH of a solution can cause enzymes to misfold

Orlando said:
a high H(+) concentration

means LOW pH.

Thank you to all who answered, i appreciate it.

Related to Biochemistry: Why does a high pH kill/inhibit yeast function?

1. Why does a high pH kill/inhibit yeast function?

The high pH interferes with the normal functioning of yeast enzymes, which are essential for the breakdown of sugars and other nutrients. This leads to a disruption in the yeast's metabolic processes and ultimately causes cell death.

2. How does a high pH affect the structure of yeast cells?

A high pH can cause changes in the structure of cell membranes and cell walls in yeast. This can result in the loss of important cellular components and affect the overall integrity and function of the cell.

3. Can yeast survive in high pH environments?

Yeast can survive in high pH environments, but their growth and function are greatly inhibited. In extreme cases, a high pH can lead to the death of yeast cells.

4. What is the ideal pH for yeast growth and function?

The ideal pH for yeast growth and function is between 4.5 and 5.5. This is slightly acidic, which provides a suitable environment for the enzymes to function properly and for the cell to maintain its structure.

5. How does pH affect the production of ethanol by yeast?

A high pH can inhibit the production of ethanol by yeast. This is because the enzymes involved in the fermentation process are affected, leading to a decrease in the breakdown of sugars and the subsequent production of ethanol.