Bio-Gel P2, cut off 2.000 daltons?

• Thread starter sotellme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cut
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "cut off" in gel filtration and its significance in isolating proteins. The cut off refers to the maximum molecular weight that can pass through the filter, with anything higher being trapped. The discussion also mentions the use of a Millipore Ultrafree-15 kit to concentrate proteins and clarifies that the concentrate is the desired protein while the flow through does not contain any of the protein of interest.
sotellme
hello everybody!

what does it mean when a gel you use in gel filtration has a "cut off 2.000 daltons" ? i have looked for the answer, but can't find it.

hopes for replies!

many thanks!

Biology news on Phys.org
It means that the filter will only let particle lower than (more or less) 2 dalton to pass through. Anything higher than 2 dalton will not pass.

hi Ian!

thanks for your reply, but i still don't get it. our protein (which we has to isolate) has a MW 15kDa. before we running the sample on a gel filtration, we concentrated the sample using a ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa. as you said components at this MW or less will go through, but higher MW won't pass. then how come i concentrate my protein, when it does not pass through? :confused:

p.s "to pass through" do you mean passing through the gel's pores?

thanks again!

Last edited:
When you the utrafree to you add buffer to the filter or do you take the supernantant. If you add buffer/liquid to colum then the your protein did not pass the cut off.

well we added our sample to this kit...

by the way is this ULTRAFREE 15 from MILLIPORE "CUTOFF" 5kDa a gel or just a paper filter? a weird question since i did take the course!

thanks, Ian!

Related to Bio-Gel P2, cut off 2.000 daltons?

1. What is Bio-Gel P2?

Bio-Gel P2 is a type of gel filtration medium, used for separating and purifying molecules based on their size.

2. What does "cut off 2.000 daltons" mean?

"Cut off 2.000 daltons" refers to the molecular weight limit of the molecules that can be separated using Bio-Gel P2. This means that any molecules with a molecular weight above 2,000 daltons will not be able to pass through the gel and will be retained, while smaller molecules will pass through and be collected in the filtrate.

3. How is Bio-Gel P2 used in scientific research?

Bio-Gel P2 is commonly used in protein purification and analysis, as well as in separating and purifying other biomolecules such as nucleic acids and carbohydrates. It is also used for desalting and buffer exchange in biochemical and biotechnological applications.

4. What are the advantages of using Bio-Gel P2?

One of the main advantages of Bio-Gel P2 is its high resolution and efficiency in separating molecules of different sizes. It is also stable and reproducible, making it a reliable tool for research. Additionally, Bio-Gel P2 is compatible with a wide range of buffers and can be easily regenerated for multiple uses.

5. Are there any limitations to using Bio-Gel P2?

While Bio-Gel P2 is a versatile tool, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for separating molecules with very similar molecular weights, as they may overlap and not be effectively separated. Additionally, Bio-Gel P2 is not suitable for purifying very large molecules, as they may become trapped in the gel matrix and not elute properly.