Find the angle relitive to the x axis

• Thread starter Mesmer17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle Axis
In summary, the conversation is discussing three different physics questions and the issues the person is having with solving them. They are seeking help with understanding how to approach the problems and what equations to use. The first question involves finding the magnitude and direction of acceleration for an object with two given forces acting on it. The second question deals with finding the gravitational force between two objects in space using the Newton's equation. The third question involves finding the acceleration due to gravity and the weight ratio on a different planet. The summary also emphasizes the importance of understanding concepts and thinking through problems before using equations and calculators.
Mesmer17
if anyone can please help me with these at least tell me how to start them that would be great...

CJ5 4.P.013.] Only two forces act on an object (mass = 3.10 kg), as in the drawing. (F = 50.0 N.)the other force is 40N Find the magnitude and direction (relative to the x axis) of the acceleration of the object.
m/s2
° (counterclockwise from the +x axis) (the angle inbetween the two forces is 45.)

to find the angle relitive to the xaxis I used 40sin45.. then to find the magnitude, I used the pythagorean therom... c^2=50^2+40^2 yet my answers are wrong can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

5. [CJ5 4.P.021.] On earth, two parts of a space probe weigh 11000 N and 4900 N. These parts are separated by a center-to-center distance of 24 m and may be treated as uniform spherical objects. Find the magnitude of the gravitational force that each part exerts on the other out in space, far from any other objects.
N I used the equation: F=G(M1M2/r^2) I used the universial gravity constant.. 6.67259E-11(11000*4900/24^2) and still got the wrong answer.. is there more to the equation than what I am seeing?

6. [CJ5 4.P.023.] Planet X has an equatorial radius of 4.80 107 m and a mass of 6.47 1026 kg.
(a) Compute the acceleration of gravity at the equator of Planet X.
m/s2
(b) What it the ratio of a person's weight on Planet X to that on Earth?
(weight on Planet X / weight on earth)

I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THIS ONE.. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. '

THANKS ALOT.. NICOLE

Physics news on Phys.org
In answer to the first question, draw an accurate forces diagram of the system involved. Then use measurement of the resultant force to give you a decent answer. You then have an answer to check your calculations against. Then see second part of the answer below:

In answer to your second question, the 'm' in Newtons equation refers to MASS not WEIGHT. You have used the 'weight on earth' value. If you want to do Physics questions correctly, don't just try to bang numbers into an equation. THINK about what you are asked, what values you have, and what you need to do. Your calculator should be the last thing you touch to get the answer, having 'solved it' first.

The third one is a basic gravitational one using 'g' = Gm/r^2 .

You really need to read up on the definitions of Mass, Weight, Gravitational Force and 'acceleration due to gravity'. Once you understand these concepts fully, the questions are very easy.

For the first problem, finding the magnitude and direction of acceleration, you can use Newton's second law, F=ma. Since only two forces are acting on the object, you can set up the equation like this: 50N + 40N = 3.10kg * a. Solving for a, you get a=26.45 m/s^2. To find the direction, you can use trigonometry. The angle between the two forces is given as 45 degrees, so you can use the cosine function to find the angle relative to the x-axis: cos(theta) = adjacent/hypotenuse = 40N/50N = 0.8. This gives you a value of theta = 36.87 degrees. Since the angle is between the two forces, you can add 90 degrees to get the angle relative to the x-axis, which gives you a final angle of 126.87 degrees counterclockwise from the +x axis.

For the second problem, finding the magnitude of the gravitational force, you were on the right track with using the equation F=G(M1M2/r^2). However, you need to make sure that you are using the correct units. The mass of the two parts should be in kilograms, the distance in meters, and the gravitational constant in Nm^2/kg^2. Plugging in the values, you should get a magnitude of 2.37*10^-7 N.

For the third problem, finding the acceleration of gravity on Planet X, you can use the equation g=G*M/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the radius of the planet. Plugging in the values, you should get an acceleration of 5.69 m/s^2. For the second part, you can use the equation F=mg to find the weight on Planet X, and then divide it by the weight on Earth to get the ratio. The weight on Earth would be 6.47*10^26 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 = 6.34*10^27 N. The weight on Planet X would be 6.47*10^26 kg * 5.69 m/s^2 = 3.68*10^27 N. Dividing these two values, you should get a ratio of 0.58. This means that

1. What does "finding the angle relative to the x axis" mean?

"Finding the angle relative to the x axis" refers to determining the angle between a given line or vector and the positive direction of the x axis. This angle is typically measured in a counterclockwise direction and can be expressed in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle relative to the x axis calculated?

The angle relative to the x axis can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. The specific calculation may vary depending on the given line or vector and the reference frame being used.

3. Can the angle relative to the x axis be negative?

Yes, the angle relative to the x axis can be negative if the given line or vector is located in the third or fourth quadrant of the coordinate plane. In this case, the angle would be measured in a clockwise direction from the positive x axis.

4. How is the angle relative to the x axis used in science?

The angle relative to the x axis is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the direction or orientation of an object or force. It is also used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving lines and vectors.

5. Are there any tools or techniques for finding the angle relative to the x axis?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can be used to find the angle relative to the x axis, including protractors, trigonometric tables, and mathematical formulas. Additionally, many computer programs and calculators have built-in functions for calculating angles.