More Complex Complex Analysis

In summary, the problem involves a mapping of a region between two curves in the v-u plane to a region outside a circle and above a line in the x-y plane. The mapping is given by w = 1/z, which is multiplicative inversion. This map reflects in the x-axis and inverts radially outward with distance. Thus, the image of the region between the curves in the v-u plane is a region outside a circle and above a line in the x-y plane. To prove this, one can observe that the absolute value of an inverse is the inverse of the absolute values, and angles add when multiplying complex numbers.
Pyrokenesis
More "Complex" Complex Analysis

I have another problem that has eluded me for days and I'm sure I'm close. If anyone can help, please nudge me in the right direction.

Consider the mapping w = u + iv = 1/z, where z = x + iy. Show that the region between the curves v = -1 and v = 0 maps into the region outside the circle x^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 1/4 and above the line y = 0.

I know that w = x/(x^2 + y^2) + i[-y/(x^2 + y^2)].

I also figured since at v = -1, in the x-y plane, y/(x^2 + y^2) = 1.

Alas I know not where to go from here. I have attatched a sketch of the region in the v-u plane.

Thanks in advance.

PS: the question then goes on to ask :- What is the image in the x-y plane of the line -1/2? This is obviously a circle since a straight line in one plane is a curve in the other, but how do I prove this?

Attachments

• Complex plane.JPG
    Complex plane.JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
This mapping is just multiplicative inversion, so before worrying about where it maps any particular region, just understand how it behaves. Since the absolute value of an inverse is the inverse of the absolute values, this maps the points inside the unit circle to points outside the unit circle. E.g. a point located at distance 1/3 from the origin would go to a point at distance 3 from the origin.

But it does not preserve angles. I.e. angles add when you multiply complex numbers, and the number 1 has angle zero, so an inverse has minus the angle of the original number.

So this operation also reflects in the x axis. In fact, inversion just reflects in the x axis, and then inverts radially outward with distance r going to distance 1/r.

first try to see this, and then try your problem.

In order to solve this problem, we can use the concept of conformal mapping, which preserves angles and orientation. This means that the regions in the v-u plane and the x-y plane will have the same shape, just in different positions.

First, let's consider the region between the curves v = -1 and v = 0 in the v-u plane. This region is a strip with width 1 and extends infinitely in both directions. Now, let's look at the mapping w = 1/z. This mapping takes a point z in the x-y plane and maps it to a point w in the v-u plane. So, for a point z = x + iy, the mapping gives us w = 1/z = x/(x^2 + y^2) + i[-y/(x^2 + y^2)].

Now, let's look at the region outside the circle x^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 1/4 and above the line y = 0 in the x-y plane. This region is also a strip with width 1 and extends infinitely in both directions. However, the orientation of this strip is different from the one in the v-u plane. In the x-y plane, the strip is oriented horizontally, while in the v-u plane, the strip is oriented vertically.

But, since the mapping w = 1/z preserves angles and orientation, the strip in the v-u plane will also be oriented horizontally. This means that the region between the curves v = -1 and v = 0 in the v-u plane will map onto the region outside the circle x^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 1/4 and above the line y = 0 in the x-y plane.

To prove that the image of the line -1/2 in the x-y plane is a circle, we can use the same concept of conformal mapping. The line -1/2 in the v-u plane is a horizontal line, while in the x-y plane, it is a circle with center at (0, 1/2) and radius 1/2. Again, since the mapping w = 1/z preserves angles and orientation, the line -1/2 in the v-u plane will map onto the circle in the x-y plane.

In conclusion, the region between the curves v = -1 and v =

Related to More Complex Complex Analysis

1. What is Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions. It involves the analysis of functions of complex variables, which are numbers that have both real and imaginary components.

2. What are some applications of Complex Analysis?

Complex Analysis has many applications in areas such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, signal processing, and financial markets, among others.

3. What is the difference between Complex Analysis and Real Analysis?

The main difference between Complex Analysis and Real Analysis is that Complex Analysis deals with functions of complex variables, while Real Analysis deals with functions of real variables. This means that in Complex Analysis, we can manipulate and analyze functions that involve both real and imaginary numbers.

4. What are the basic tools used in Complex Analysis?

The basic tools used in Complex Analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, contour integration, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations. These tools are used to analyze and manipulate complex functions and solve problems involving complex variables.

5. How is Complex Analysis related to other branches of mathematics?

Complex Analysis is closely related to many other branches of mathematics, such as Real Analysis, Differential Equations, and Topology. It also has connections to physics and engineering, as many problems in these fields can be solved using techniques from Complex Analysis.