Binomial series with coeficients in arithmetic progression

In summary, the binomial expansion of (1+x)^n, n is a positive integer, may be written in the form(1+x)^{n} = 1+c_{1}x+c_{2}x^{2}+c_{3}x^{3}+...c_{r}x^{r}+...
Appleton

Homework Statement

The binomial expansion of [itex](1+x)^n[/itex], n is a positive integer, may be written in the form

[itex](1+x)^{n} = 1+c_{1}x+c_{2}x^{2}+c_{3}x^{3}+...c_{r}x^{r}+...
[/itex]

Show that , if [itex]c_{s-1}[/itex], [itex]c_{s}[/itex] and [itex]c_{s+1} [/itex] are in arithmetic progression then [itex](n-2s)^{2} =n+2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"[itex]c_{s-1}[/itex], [itex]c_{s}[/itex] and [itex]c_{s+1} [/itex] are in arithmetic progression" infers that
[itex]\frac{c_{s-1} +c_{s+1}}{2}=c_{s}\\
\frac{\binom{n}{s-1} + \binom{n}{s+1}}{2}=\binom{n}{s} \\
\frac{n!}{2(n-s+1)!(s-1)!} + \frac{n!}{2(n-s-1)!(s+1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n-s)!s!}\\
\frac{(n-s)!s!}{(n-s+1)!(s-1)!} + \frac{(n-s)!s!}{(n-s-1)!(s+1)!} = 2\\
\frac{s}{n-s+1} + \frac{n-s}{s+1}= 2\\
\frac{n-s}{s+1} = 2- \frac{s}{n-s+1}\\
n+2= (s+1)(2- \frac{s}{n-s+1})+s+2\\
n+2= 2(s+1)- \frac{s(s+1)}{n-s+1}+s+2
[/itex]
At this point it's getting messy, so I set s to 1 and n to 2 and get n+2 = 6 as opposed to the 0 I get when I do the same susubstitution for [itex](n-2s)^{2}[/itex]
Can someone please point out what I have done wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:

Homework Statement

The binomial expansion of [itex](1+x)^n[/itex], n is a positive integer, may be written in the form

[itex](1+x)^{n} = 1+c_{1}x+c_{2}x^{2}+c_{3}x^{3}+...c_{r}x^{r}+...
[/itex]

Show that , if [itex]c_{s-1}[/itex], [itex]c_{s}[/itex] and [itex]c_{s+1} [/itex] are in arithmetic progression then [itex](n-2s)^{2} =n+2[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

"[itex]c_{s-1}[/itex], [itex]c_{s}[/itex] and [itex]c_{s+1} [/itex] are in arithmetic progression" infers that
[itex]\frac{c_{s-1} +c_{s+1}}{2}=c_{s}\\
\frac{\binom{n}{s-1} + \binom{n}{s+1}}{2}=\binom{n}{s} \\
\frac{n!}{2(n-s+1)!(s-1)!} + \frac{n!}{2(n-s-1)!(s+1)!} = \frac{n!}{(n-s)!s!}\\
\frac{(n-s)!s!}{(n-s+1)!(s-1)!} + \frac{(n-s)!s!}{(n-s-1)!(s+1)!} = 2\\
\frac{s}{n-s+1} + \frac{n-s}{s+1}= 2\\
\frac{n-s}{s+1} = 2- \frac{s}{n-s+1}\\
n+2= (s+1)(2- \frac{s}{n-s+1})+s+2\\
n+2= 2(s+1)- \frac{s(s+1)}{n-s+1}+s+2
[/itex]
At this point it's getting messy, so I set s to 1 and n to 2 and get n+2 = 6 as opposed to the 0 I get when I do the same susubstitution for [itex](n-2s)^{2}[/itex]
Can someone please point out what I have done wrong.
It's no use checking the equation by using a combination of values that is not actually a solution. n=7, s=2 is a solution, and your last equation survives that test.
Go back to your 5th equation (the one with just =2 on the right hand side) and just multiply out the denominators.

OK, yes, pretty fundamental misunderstanding then. Thanks for pointing that out.

Related to Binomial series with coeficients in arithmetic progression

1. What is a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression?

A binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression is a mathematical expression that involves terms with a common difference between them. It is a special type of binomial series where the coefficients follow an arithmetic progression, meaning that they increase or decrease by a constant amount.

2. How is a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression different from a regular binomial series?

In a regular binomial series, the coefficients are usually constants or follow a specific pattern. However, in a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression, the coefficients are in an arithmetic sequence, which means they follow a regular pattern of addition or subtraction.

3. What is the formula for finding the coefficients in a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression?

The formula for finding the coefficients in a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression is:
an = a1 + (n-1)d
where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

4. How is a binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression used in real life?

Binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to model and analyze phenomena that involve a constant rate of change, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and financial investments.

5. What are some applications of binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression in mathematics?

Binomial series with coefficients in arithmetic progression are used in Calculus, specifically in Taylor series and Maclaurin series, to approximate functions. They are also used in the study of arithmetic sequences and series and in the binomial theorem, which is a fundamental concept in algebra and probability theory.