Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe: Expansion and Collapse

• Thread starter BOBwatches2muchtv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: the cause of the universe's expansion and the possibility of it collapsing onto itself. One theory is that the universe is currently expanding into a sphere, which will eventually collapse and become the starting point of the universe. However, the possibility of this happening is still unclear and there is also speculation about the complexity and purpose of the universe.
BOBwatches2muchtv
The End Of The Universe..?

I AM, AT THE MOMMENT, QUITE PUZZELED ABOUT 2 THINGS:

1: IF, AT ONE POINT IN TIME,THE UNIVERSE WAS AN EXTREAMLY DENSE 'SPHERE' OF MASS, WHAT INITIATED THE EXPANION?

2: SINCE THE UNIVERSE COULDN'T BE FLAT (1 & 2 DIMENSIONS) IT MUST HAVE 3 DIMENSIONS. IF SO, IT WOULD EXPANED ON 3 PLANES. BUT HOW FAR COULD IT EXPAND BEFORE IT COLLASPED ONTO ITSELF?

I WOULD THINK THAT THE UNIVERSE IS (CURRENLY) A CONCAVE LENS SHAPE THAT IS EXPANDING INTO A SPHERE. ONCE IT BECOMES A SPHERE, GRAVITY COLAPSES IT, FORMING THE DENSE STARTING POINT OF THE UNIVERSE.

BUT HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Scientists think the universe is like a pringles potato chip kind of shape. And I believe a thery that says first there was Nothing (yes, proper noun), then "Nothing" became quantumly unstable because anything can be quantumly unstable, and things started popping out of nowhere. Also I don't think we are alone, being we are and experiment, I don't think this elegant universe could be an acciedent. Sometimes I just daydream about how complicated everything is, the human body is THE most amazing thing ever, how so many indepentant processes go on, how everything works together, how the immune system works, its all just so amazing. Everything is muans, electrons, protons, neutrinos, quarks, leptons, neutrons, gluons... The light hits the atoms and particles, hydrogen, carbon, bismuth and transulate into diffrent colors of the eyes of humans... umm nothing.

Q: What is the universe?

The universe is the entirety of all matter, energy, space, and time. It includes all planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies.

Q: How old is the universe?

The current estimate for the age of the universe is approximately 13.8 billion years. This is determined by studying the cosmic microwave background radiation and the expansion rate of the universe.

Q: How big is the universe?

The size of the universe is constantly expanding and is considered to be infinite. However, the observable universe, which is the portion of the universe that we can see, is estimated to be about 93 billion light-years in diameter.

Q: What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and expansion of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, a single point of infinite density and temperature, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

Q: Is there life on other planets?

There is currently no definitive answer to this question. While there is no evidence of extraterrestrial life, the vastness of the universe and the potential for habitable planets make it a possibility. Scientists continue to search for signs of life on other planets and moons within our own solar system.