Calculating Volume of Revolution: y=x-x^3 from 0 to 1 about the y-axis

In summary, the person was trying to find the volume of a donut that has a perimeter of 2 pi x and a height of y.
Zurtex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi could you please say if this is right or wrong and if it is not where I went wrong.

I got the question:

Find the volume of the area between y=x-x^3 from 0 to 1 revolved about the y-axis.

So here are my workings:

[tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2dy}[/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 \frac{dy}{dx}dx}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = 1 - 3x^2[/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 \left(1 - 3x^2 \right)dx} [/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \int_0^1{x^2 - 3x^4 dx}[/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \left[ \frac{x^3}{3} - \frac{3x^5}{5} \right]_0^1 [/tex]
[tex]V = \pi \left \left( \frac{1}{3} - \frac{3}{5} \right) - \pi(0)[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{-4\pi}{15} [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the volume can't be negative, can it? :smile:

As far as I remember, the volumne you get by revolving the area below f(x) between points A and B around the X axis is:

[tex]V = \pi \int_a^b{f(x)^2dx}[/tex]

Edit: argh, just noticed you're revolving it around the Y axis. Sorry.

Last edited:
Grrr, I just wrote up a load of code in Latex and it didn't post up.

I think the problem is that when I am integrating:

[tex]x^2 - 3x^4[/tex]

Should I separate it into the parts above and below the x - axis, work out the area of the two parts individually?

I presume you want to find the volume of revolution of the area between that curve f(x) and the x-axis (between x = 0, 1), revolved around the y-axis?

Wouldn't that just be:
[tex]V = 2\pi \int_0^1{xf(x)dx}[/tex]

Originally posted by Doc Al
I presume you want to find the volume of revolution of the area between that curve f(x) and the x-axis (between x = 0, 1), revolved around the y-axis?

Wouldn't that just be:
Yes but I've never heard of that equation before, that only briefly reminds me of something I did in statistics.

Originally posted by Zurtex
Yes but I've never heard of that equation before, that only briefly reminds me of something I did in statistics.
If you take a point [tex](x, y)[/tex] on the graph, connect it to the X axis and revolve the line around the Y axis, you would get a very thin but high donut. The perimeter of the donut is [tex]2\pi x[/tex] and its height is [tex]y[/tex], bringing its volum to [tex]2\pi xy[/tex] or [tex]2\pi xf(x)[/tex]. That's how you get to:

Ahh, I think I found your mistake. Since you integrate by [tex]dy[/tex], you need the take Y limits and not the X limits. You are asked to find the volume between X = 0 and X = 1, those points are (0, 1) and (1, 0). So when you integrate by Y, the definite integral needs to be from 1 to 0, and not from 0 to 1. This is why you got a negative volume, and if you solve it with the equation Zurtex posted you would in fact get 4pi/15.

Thanks loads :D

Knew it was just some sill mistake. Although I don't understand your volume thingy but then I am only doing A level further maths.

1. What is the purpose of "Is this Right? Check My Work?"

The purpose of "Is this Right? Check My Work" is to ensure accuracy and correctness in a process or solution. It allows for a second set of eyes to review and verify that the work or solution is correct.

2. How does "Is this Right? Check My Work" work?

"Is this Right? Check My Work" works by having someone else review the work or solution and compare it to a set of guidelines or standards. This person can then provide feedback or suggestions for improvement.

3. Who can benefit from using "Is this Right? Check My Work"?

Anyone can benefit from using "Is this Right? Check My Work", but it is particularly useful for students, researchers, and professionals who need to ensure the accuracy and validity of their work.

4. What are the potential benefits of using "Is this Right? Check My Work"?

The potential benefits of using "Is this Right? Check My Work" include catching and correcting mistakes, improving the quality of work, and increasing confidence in the accuracy of the work or solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using "Is this Right? Check My Work"?

One limitation of using "Is this Right? Check My Work" is that the reviewer may not catch all mistakes or may have a different interpretation of the guidelines or standards. Additionally, this process may take extra time and effort, which may not always be feasible.