Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

binomial expansion

toyjoha

Feb 17, 2012
Part I. Write out the binomial expansion for each binomial raised to the 8th power.
1. (x + y) 2. (w + z) 3. (x - y) 4. (2a + 3b)
Part II. Now explain how your answer for #1 could be used as a formula to help you answer each of the other items. In each case, for #2, 3 and 4, tell what would x equal and what would y equal.

I did the binomial expansions. Those are easy, but how can you find the value?

Jan 31, 2012
Part I. Write out the binomial expansion for each binomial raised to the 8th power.
Part II. Now explain how your answer for #1 could be used as a formula to help you answer each of the other items. In each case, for #2, 3 and 4, tell what would x equal and what would y equal.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=binomial+coefficient

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
What did you get for the expansion of (x+y)^5? What happens when you substitute another term for x and y, say x=3c and y=2d into the expansion of (x+y)^5? Remember when you substitute you must pay close attention to apply any powers to the whole term, not just the variable. So if you see x^5 and you substitute x=3c, then the substituted expression would be (3c)^5, NOT 3(c^5).

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012

They are not asking for "values". To use your answer to (1) to get (2) let x= w and let y= z. Similarly for (3) x stays x but y becomes -y. Finally, for (4) let x= 2a, y= 3b.