Binomial expansion of term with x^2

In summary, the coefficient of x^18 in the expansion of (1/14 x^2 -7)^16 is given by the binomial coefficient 16C9 multiplied by (1/14)^9 and (-7)^7. This can also be expressed as 16C7 multiplied by (-7)^7 and (1/14)^9. However, there seems to be a discrepancy in the calculation of 8C9, which may be due to a misunderstanding of the binomial theorem or a typographical error. Further clarification is needed to determine the exact coefficient of x^18.
Roodles01
I have to determine the coefficient of an x term in an expansion such as this;
Determine the coefficient of x^18 in the expansion of (1/14 x^2 -7)^16

The general term in the binomial expansion is
nCk a^k b^(n−k)
I could let
a = (1/14 x^2)
b = -7
n = 16
k = 9?

I have no real idea of how to go about finding this coefficient using the binomial theorem.

Having expanded the expression to the 10th term I get

8C9 (-7) (1/14 x^2)^9

I'm using nCk = n! / (n-k)!k! but can't evaluate this as it is a negative.

I'm assuming that the 8C9 bit is just the opposite of 6th term i.e. 12C5 = 792 (looking at Pascal's triangle this is on the opposite side), but I can get the x^18 bit (I'm assuming the (x^2)^9 can be x^18 here)

Can someone check, please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roodles01 said:
I have to determine the coefficient of an x term in an expansion such as this;
Determine the coefficient of x^18 in the expansion of (1/14 x^2 -7)^16

The general term in the binomial expansion is
nCk a^k b^(n−k)
I could let
a = (1/14 x^2)
b = -7
n = 16
k = 9?

I have no real idea of how to go about finding this coefficient using the binomial theorem.

Having expanded the expression to the 10th term I get

8C9 (-7) (1/14 x^2)^9

I'm using nCk = n! / (n-k)!k! but can't evaluate this as it is a negative.

I'm assuming that the 8C9 bit is just the opposite of 6th term i.e. 12C5 = 792 (looking at Pascal's triangle this is on the opposite side), but I can get the x^18 bit (I'm assuming the (x^2)^9 can be x^18 here)

Can someone check, please?

Conventionally, nCk for integers 0 < n < k is regarded as zero. Why did you write 8C9?

RGV

If you let y= x^2, then you are looking for the coefficient of y^9 in ((1/14)y- 7)^16.
That will be, of course, 16C9 (1/14)^9(-7)^7

Of course you are right HallsofIvy.

I was doing this

(OK I put the 6th term when I meant 7th)
I put 8C9 as I understand that when I expand the expression (1/14 x^2 - 7) longhand I get;

-7^16 + (16C1*-7^15*(1/14 x^2)) + (15C2*-7^14*(1/14 x^2)) + . . . . + (11C6*-7^10*(1/14 x^2)) + . . . . . . . . + (8C9*-7^7*(1/14 x^2)) . . . .

Where (11C6*-7^10*(1/14 x^2)) is the 7th term of the expansion
& (8C9*-7^7*(1/14 x^2)) is the 10th term

Pascals triangle, being symmetrical, should reflect the coefficients around the8th & 9th terms. So I'm assuming that the coefficient of the 7th term should be the same as the 10th term.

When I try to calculate 8C9 (which I did longhand, shown above)
I use form nCk = n! / (n-k)!*k!
If I let n=8
& k=9
I get 8!/(-1)!*9!

I work this out to be;
40320 / -1 * 362880 = -0.1

I know this isn't right so why did I do this wrong!

[itex]_8C_9[/itex] would be the coefficient of [itex]a^9[/itex] in [itex](a+ b)^8[/itex] and there is no such term! Do you mean [itex]_9C_8[/itex]?

Related to Binomial expansion of term with x^2

What is the binomial expansion of a term with x^2?

The binomial expansion of a term with x^2 is the process of expanding an expression with the form (a + bx^2)^n, where a and b are constants and n is a positive integer.

What is the formula for expanding a binomial term with x^2?

The formula for expanding a binomial term with x^2 is (a + bx^2)^n = a^n + n(a^(n-1))(bx^2) + (n(n-1)/2)(a^(n-2))(bx^2)^2 + ... + (b^2)(x^2)^n.

What is the purpose of binomial expansion with terms involving x^2?

Binomial expansion with terms involving x^2 allows us to easily expand and simplify polynomials with higher powers of x and to find the coefficients of each term. It is also useful in probability and statistics, as it can be used to calculate the probabilities of outcomes in a binomial experiment.

What is the relationship between binomial expansion and Pascal's triangle?

Binomial expansion and Pascal's triangle are closely related. The coefficients of each term in the expanded form of (a + bx^2)^n can be found by using the corresponding row of Pascal's triangle. Additionally, the sum of the coefficients in each row of Pascal's triangle is equal to 2^n, which is the number of terms in the binomial expansion.

What are some real-world applications of binomial expansion with terms involving x^2?

Binomial expansion with terms involving x^2 has many real-world applications, including in finance (such as calculating compound interest), physics (such as in the expansion of a binomial force equation), and genetics (such as in calculating the probabilities of different genotypes in offspring). It is also used in computer science and data analysis for pattern recognition and data compression.