Binomial expansion, general coefficient

In summary, in order to find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of \frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}, we can use the binomial theorem to expand (1+2x)^{-1} and (3-x)^{-1} as series of ascending powers of x. By multiplying these two expansions together, we can then find the coefficient of x^n by looking at the coefficient of x^n in the resulting series. By rearranging the terms and using the fact that the coefficient of x^n in (1+2x)^{-1} is (-2)^n and the coefficient of x^n in (3-x)^{-1} is (\frac{1}{3})^{n+1},
Appleton

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of each of the following functions as a series of ascending powers of x.

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex](1+2x)^{-1} = 1 + (-1)2x + \frac{(-1)(-2)}{2!}(2x)^2 + \frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)}{3!}(2x)^3... -1<2x<1[/itex]

[itex]= 1 - 2x + 4x^2 - 8x^3... -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{3}(1-\frac{x}{3})^{-1} = \frac{1}{3}(1 + (-1)(-\frac{x}{3}) + \frac{(-1)(-2)}{2!}(-\frac{x}{3})^2 + \frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)}{3!}(-\frac{x}{3})^3...) -1<-\frac{x}{3}<1[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{3} + \frac{x}{9} + \frac{x^2}{27} + \frac{x^3}{81}... -3<x<3[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}=\frac{1}{3}-\frac{5}{9}x+\frac{31}{27}x^2-\frac{185}{81}x^3... -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I can't see an obvious pattern in the numerators of the coefficients, perhaps I should be able to. So I look at the coefficient of each binomial where I see that the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](1+2x)^{-1}[/itex] is [itex](-2)^n[/itex] and the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](3-x)^{-1}[/itex] is [itex](\frac{1}{3})^{n+1}[/itex]. So [itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}[/itex] could also be expressed as [itex](\sum^{∞}_{r=0}(-2x)^r)(\sum^{∞}_{r=0}(\frac{1}{3})^{r+1}(x)^r) -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. However as I feel I am getting tantalisingly close to a solution I realize that their multiplication complicates matters.

So I start to look at patterns in the process of multiplying the 2 expansions together and find that
[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}=\frac{1}{3}(\sum^{∞}_{r=0} (-1)^r(2x)^r(\sum^{∞}_{k=0} (\frac{x}{3})^k)) -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

By now I've strayed into territory outside of my textbook, ie the recursive summation, this might well be meaningless as it looks like it never bottoms out of the k loop, but I hope it illustrates my thought process, however Ill conceived it might be.
I thought there might be a way to eliminate the k in the last expression to yield my general coefficient.
Any guidance on the approach to tackling this kind of problem would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Appleton said:

Homework Statement

Find the coefficient of x^n in the expansion of each of the following functions as a series of ascending powers of x.

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex](1+2x)^{-1} = 1 + (-1)2x + \frac{(-1)(-2)}{2!}(2x)^2 + \frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)}{3!}(2x)^3... -1<2x<1[/itex]

[itex]= 1 - 2x + 4x^2 - 8x^3... -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{3}(1-\frac{x}{3})^{-1} = \frac{1}{3}(1 + (-1)(-\frac{x}{3}) + \frac{(-1)(-2)}{2!}(-\frac{x}{3})^2 + \frac{(-1)(-2)(-3)}{3!}(-\frac{x}{3})^3...) -1<-\frac{x}{3}<1[/itex]

[itex]= \frac{1}{3} + \frac{x}{9} + \frac{x^2}{27} + \frac{x^3}{81}... -3<x<3[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}=\frac{1}{3}-\frac{5}{9}x+\frac{31}{27}x^2-\frac{185}{81}x^3... -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

I can't see an obvious pattern in the numerators of the coefficients, perhaps I should be able to. So I look at the coefficient of each binomial where I see that the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](1+2x)^{-1}[/itex] is [itex](-2)^n[/itex] and the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] in the expansion of [itex](3-x)^{-1}[/itex] is [itex](\frac{1}{3})^{n+1}[/itex]. So [itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}[/itex] could also be expressed as [itex](\sum^{∞}_{r=0}(-2x)^r)(\sum^{∞}_{r=0}(\frac{1}{3})^{r+1}(x)^r) -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]. However as I feel I am getting tantalisingly close to a solution I realize that their multiplication complicates matters.

So I start to look at patterns in the process of multiplying the 2 expansions together and find that
[itex]\frac{1}{(1+2x)(3-x)}=\frac{1}{3}(\sum^{∞}_{r=0} (-1)^r(2x)^r(\sum^{∞}_{k=0} (\frac{x}{3})^k)) -\frac{1}{2}<x<\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

You can swap multiplication by [itex](-2x)^r[/itex] and summation over [itex]k[/itex] to obtain
[tex]
\frac{1}{(1 + 2x)(3 - x)} = \frac13 \sum_{r=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{(-1)^r2^r}{3^k}x^{r+k}
[/tex]
and now the change of variables to [itex]n = r + k[/itex] and [itex]m = k[/itex] where [itex]0 \leq n \leq \infty[/itex] and [itex]0 \leq m \leq n[/itex] suggests itself.

Thanks for your reply pasmith. Trying to follow your suggestion I got the coefficient of x^n as [itex]\sum ^{∞}_{m} \frac{(-2)^{n-m}}{3^{m+1}}[/itex] which I struggled to make sense of.
But by using your distribution of (-2x)^r I was able to visualise the whole summation as a 2 dimensional array of terms and by adding diagonal terms come up with an expression for the coefficient of every nth power of x:
[itex]\sum ^{n}_{m=0} \frac{(-2)^m3^{m-1}
}{3^n}[/itex]
However I am still unable to express this coefficient in terms of just n and without the summation. Something tells me I'm making more of a meal of this than is necessary.

Appleton said:
Thanks for your reply pasmith. Trying to follow your suggestion I got the coefficient of x^n as [itex]\sum ^{∞}_{m} \frac{(-2)^{n-m}}{3^{m+1}}[/itex] which I struggled to make sense of. But by using your distribution of (-2x)^r I was able to visualise the whole summation as a 2 dimensional array of terms and by adding diagonal terms

This is indeed the idea.

come up with an expression for the coefficient of every nth power of x:
[itex]\sum ^{n}_{m=0} \frac{(-2)^m3^{m-1}
}{3^n}[/itex]
However I am still unable to express this coefficient in terms of just n and without the summation. Something tells me I'm making more of a meal of this than is necessary.

Your sum here is a geometric series: [tex]
\sum ^{n}_{m=0} \frac{(-2)^m3^{m-1}}{3^n} = \frac1{3^{n+1}} \sum_{m=0}^n (-6)^m.[/tex] There is a formula for summing such series.

The stricter constraint is that [itex]|x| < \frac12[/itex], so it makes sense to express the series in powers of [itex]2x[/itex] rather than [itex]x/3[/itex]. Hence [tex]
\frac13 \sum_{r=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty (-2x)^r \frac{x^k}{3^k}
= \frac13 \sum_{r=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{1}{3^k(-2)^k} (-2x)^{r+k}
= \frac13 \sum_{r=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^\infty \left(-\frac{1}{6}\right)^k (-2x)^{r+k}
= \frac13 \sum_{n=0}^\infty (-2x)^n \sum_{k=0}^n \left(-\frac{1}{6}\right)^k
[/tex] where the sum over [itex]k[/itex] is again a geometric series.

One can show that both expressions for the coefficient of [itex]x^n[/itex] are equal, as they must be.

So the coefficient is [itex]\frac{1}{21}(3^{-1}+(-1)^n(2)^{n+1}(3))[/itex].
I still don't follow the substitution of n for r+k. How is that justified?

Appleton said:

The series is absolutely convergent, so its terms can be re-ordered. Instead of taking them in the order (0,0), (0,1), (0,2), ..., (1,0), (1,1), ... one takes them in the order (0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (2,0), (1,1), (0,2), ...

Likes 1 person
Appleton said:

Originally you have a sum over all pairs (r,k) with 0 ≤ r < ∞ and 0 ≤ k < ∞. This is just all the points in the lattice {(0,0), (1,0), (0,1), (1,1), (0,2) ,... } in 2-dimensional (r,k)-space. Because of absolute convergence (at least, in a certain x-range) you can re-express the sum: sum over each of the ##45^o ## lines ##r+k = 0, 1, 2, \ldots##, and within each such line, sum over the lattice points contained in that portion of the line between the k and r axes. That is, for fixed ##r+k = n## you need to do the sum for (say) ##k = 0,1,2, \ldots, n##, with ##r = n - k## for each such ##k##. Why would you do that? The answer is: because you have terms ##x^{r+k}## in the sum, and you want to isolate the coefficient of ##x^{r+k}## for each fixed value ##r+k = n##.

Likes 1 person
Thank you both very much for your help, very interesting and illuminating.

Related to Binomial expansion, general coefficient

What is binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion is a mathematical method used to expand an expression in the form of (a + b)^n, where n is a positive integer. It allows us to find the coefficients of each term in the expansion.

What is the general coefficient in binomial expansion?

The general coefficient in binomial expansion is the numerical factor that multiplies the variables in each term of the expanded expression. It can be found by using the formula: nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n is the power, and r is the term number.

What is the relationship between binomial expansion and Pascal's triangle?

Binomial expansion is closely related to Pascal's triangle, which is a triangular arrangement of numbers where each number is the sum of the two numbers above it. The coefficients in binomial expansion can be found by reading the corresponding row in Pascal's triangle.

What are some real-life applications of binomial expansion?

Binomial expansion has many real-life applications, including in statistics, probability, and genetics. It can be used to calculate the probability of getting a certain number of heads when flipping a coin multiple times, or to calculate the chances of a certain genetic trait being passed on from parents to offspring.

What is the difference between binomial expansion and binomial theorem?

Binomial expansion and binomial theorem are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference between them. Binomial expansion is the process of expanding an expression, while binomial theorem is a formula that gives the expanded form directly. In other words, binomial theorem is a shortcut for finding the coefficients in binomial expansion.