Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions

In summary, the binomial distribution with parameters $\theta=(p,n)$ is not a member of the exponential family. However, if we consider $n$ to be constant, it can be expressed as an exponential distribution. The $\binom{n}{x}$ term would need to be split into a product of separate functions of $x$ and $n$ to fit into the exponential family model, but this is not possible. Additionally, the values that $x$ can take must be the same over the entire parameter space, which is not the case for the binomial distribution with $\theta=(p,n)$.
Rashad9607
A pdf is of the exponential family if it can be written $ f(x|\theta)=h(x)c(\theta)exp(\sum_{i=1}^{k}{w_{i}(\theta)t_{i}(x))}$ with $\theta$ a finite parameter vector, $c(\theta)>0$, all functions are over the reals, and only $h(x)$ is possibly constant.

I would like to show the binomial distribution with parameters $\theta=(p,n)$ is not in the exponential family.

Actually, if we consider $n$ to be constant, it is an exponential member:

$f(x|\theta)=p^{x}(1-p)^{n-x}\binom{n}{x}=\binom{n}{x}(1-p)^{n}(\frac{p}{1-p})^{x}=\binom{n}{x}(1-p)^{n}exp(x*log(\frac{p}{1-p}))$

Because $n$ is given, $\binom{n}{x}$ is a function of $x$ and will be $h(x)$.

$c(\theta)=(1-p)^{n}$.

$w_{1}(\theta)=log(\frac{p}{1-p})$ and $t_{1}(x)=x$.

If we instead want to consider the full parameter space where $n$ is not given, the binomial distribution is not a member of the exponential family.

Say we wanted to try and fit it into the exponential family model. The $\binom{n}{x}$ term would need to be split into a product of separate functions of $x$ and $n$ to be incorporated into $h(x)c(\theta)$, or split into a sum of products of separate functions to be incorporated into the summation term.

I was able to show that $\binom{n}{x}$ cannot be expressed as a product $u(n)v(x)$, so what is left is showing that it won't work in the summation term either. This means showing that $log(\binom{n}{x})$ is inexpressible as $\sum_{i=1}^{k}{w_{i}(n)t_{i}(x)}$, with $w_{i}$ and $t_{i}$ nonconstant, which I haven't been able to do. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So I have read the next section in my text and learned that a characteristic of exponential family distributions is that the values $x$ can take must be the same over the entire parameter space. If we take $\theta=(p,n)$, then x=0,1,2,...,n, which depends on $\theta$, so it cannot be an exponential distribution.

But I'd still like to prove the log(nCr) thing.

Related to Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions

1. What is the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions?

The Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions is a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a sequence of independent trials, where each trial has only two possible outcomes (success or failure). It is part of the larger Exponential Family of Distributions, which includes other commonly used distributions such as the Normal and Poisson distributions.

2. What are the key characteristics of the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions?

The key characteristics of the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions are:

• The number of trials (n)
  • The probability of success in each trial (p)
  • The mean (np) and variance (np(1-p))
  • The distribution is discrete, meaning it only takes on integer values
  • The trials are independent of each other

3. How is the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions used in scientific research?

The Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions is used in scientific research to model the probability of success in a series of independent trials. It can be used to analyze data from experiments, clinical trials, and other studies where there are only two possible outcomes for each trial. It is also used in quality control and reliability studies.

4. What are some real-life examples of the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions?

The Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions can be seen in various real-life examples, such as:

• The probability of flipping a coin and getting heads or tails
  • The probability of a patient recovering from a disease with a certain treatment
  • The probability of a student passing or failing a test with a certain passing rate
  • The probability of a product being defective or non-defective in a manufacturing process

5. What are the limitations of the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions?

Although the Binomial Distribution in the Exponential Family of Distributions is a useful tool in probability and statistics, it does have some limitations. Some of these limitations include:

• It assumes that the trials are independent, which may not always be the case in real-life situations
  • It can only be used for discrete data, meaning it cannot handle continuous data
  • It requires a fixed number of trials, which may not always be known or applicable
  • It is not suitable for modeling rare events