Binary Star Inclination Angle probability distribution

In summary, the probability of the inclination angle of a binary system being less than i_0 is 1-cos(i_0). Sin i comes from the fact that the fractional distribution of binary stars is df = sini * di, where i is the inclination angle. The reason not uniformly distributed across angles is because the sin i is a function of the distance between the stars and the inclination angle.
Miviato
Can someone explain why the probability of the inclination angle of a binary system being less than i_0 is 1-cos(i_0)
i.e. why the fractional distribution of binary stars is df = sini * di, where i is the inclination angle?

Where does the sin i come from? Why is not not uniformly distributed across angles?

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You might find George Gamow's One, Two, Three, Infinity an interesting read. It covers this and a number of other interesting probability and statistical problems and other tidbits.

I found the book but can't find the section with this explanation -- could you please point you where it is?
Thanks!

It's somewhere in the section where he's demonstrating how to find a value for pi by dropping toothpicks on a striped field, like the stripes on the flag.

I read and understood it, but I don't quite see how it answers my question -- for the binary the distance doesn't really matter, you can change the distance without changing the inclination angle...

Miviato said:
I don't quite see how it answers my question --
Clearly, I'm going to have to do a little reading and correct my intuitive interpretation of
Miviato said:
probability of the inclination angle of a binary system being less than i_0 is 1-cos(i_0)
"inclination angle." Didn't mean to drag your question off on a "tangent," with a hasty leap --- thought I'd found another application of some of the neat little tricks Gamow collected.

Look at it this way: what is the probability on an observer seeing Earth at a certain latitude?

1 degree of latitude from equator to 1 degree latitude is a band around Earth 1 degree wide but 360 degrees long - all around the length of equator. 1 degree of latitude from latitude 89 to pole at latitude 90 is a small circle, with radius 1 degree, but accordingly only a tiny circumference.

I understand that the values of inclination are counted so that inclination 0 is the viewer looking at one pole (latitude 90, the pole where the orbit is counterclockwise), so very improbable, inclination 90 is the viewer looking at the plane/equator of orbit (latitude 0, most probable) and inclination 180 is the viewer looking at the other pole (latitude also 90, the pole where the orbit is clockwise), so also very improbable.

Related to Binary Star Inclination Angle probability distribution

1. What is a binary star inclination angle probability distribution?

A binary star inclination angle probability distribution is a statistical representation of the likelihood of a binary star system having a certain inclination angle. This angle refers to the angle between the orbital plane of the binary stars and the plane of observation from Earth.

2. Why is the binary star inclination angle important in astronomy?

The binary star inclination angle is important because it affects the observed properties of the binary star system. A higher inclination angle can lead to eclipses and variations in brightness, while a lower inclination angle can make it difficult to detect the presence of a companion star.

3. How is the binary star inclination angle probability distribution calculated?

The binary star inclination angle probability distribution is calculated using various observational data, such as the orbital period, radial velocity, and light curve of the binary star system. This data is then used to determine the most likely range of inclination angles for the system.

4. What factors can affect the binary star inclination angle probability distribution?

The binary star inclination angle probability distribution can be affected by various factors, including the mass and orbital characteristics of the stars, as well as the presence of other nearby objects that may influence the system's orbit.

5. How does the binary star inclination angle probability distribution help in understanding binary star systems?

The binary star inclination angle probability distribution provides valuable information about the orientation of the binary star system, which can help astronomers understand the dynamics and evolution of the system. It can also help in determining the true masses and sizes of the stars, which can be difficult to measure directly.