Binary Addition and Carrying: How to Multiply 111x111

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of adding binary numbers, specifically when the sum results in a number greater than 1. The process involves carrying over a 1 to the next column and continuing the addition until all digits have been added. This can be better understood by adding two binary numbers at a time. The conversation also mentions the addition facts that come into play when adding binary numbers.
Drao92
How do you multiply 111x111. Every exemple i ve found on internet is 101x100, 110x101 and it doesn't answer to my question :|.
Code:
         111x
         111=
         111+
        111+
       ----
Every exemple I've found is like :))
  110+

Which is obviously easy...
The problem i have is the summing of 111+111+111, when i get 1+1+1=? I can't understand how this works in binary :|.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have 9+9+9 in decimal, how does that work?

i keep the first digit and i add it with the next digits.
But if i have to sum 1+1+1 in the sum coulm This is (1+1+1+1)=(10+1+1)=100, what i do here, i keep the last digit and i add 10 to the next sum, this is what i don't understand.

It's probably easier to see what to do if you add two binary numbers at a time.

If you have (binary) 111 + 111, then, starting from the rightmost column,

1+1 = 10, write down 0, carry 1 back to the next column to the left
1+1+1 = 11, write down 1,carry 1 back to the next column to the left
1+1+1 = 11, the sum becomes

11 1 0 is the final result

check, 7+7 = 14 (decimal)

To back up a bit from what SteamKing said, there are four addition facts that come into play.
1. 0 + 0 = 0
2. 0 + 1 = 1
3. 1 + 0 = 1
4. 1 + 1 = 10
The only one of these that deserves discussion is the last: 1 + 1 = 0, and you carry 1 to the next higher place.

Related to Binary Addition and Carrying: How to Multiply 111x111

What is binary multiplication?

Binary multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two binary numbers (numbers in the base-2 numeral system) together. It is similar to regular multiplication, but instead of using the digits 0-9, it only uses 0 and 1.

Why is binary multiplication important?

Binary multiplication is important because it is the basis for many computer operations. Since computers use binary code to represent data and perform calculations, binary multiplication is a fundamental concept in computer science and programming.

How do I perform binary multiplication?

To perform binary multiplication, you can use the same method as regular multiplication. Start by multiplying the rightmost digits of the two numbers, then carry over any products that are greater than 1 to the next column. Repeat this process until you have multiplied all the digits, then add up all the products to get the final answer.

What are some tips for performing binary multiplication?

One helpful tip for performing binary multiplication is to use a binary multiplication table, which shows all the possible products for two binary numbers. This can make the process easier and less prone to errors. It is also important to remember that any product greater than 1 should be converted to binary form, with the remainder being carried over to the next column.

Can I use a calculator for binary multiplication?

Yes, you can use a calculator for binary multiplication. Many scientific calculators have a function for performing binary calculations. There are also online binary calculators that can help with binary multiplication. However, it is still important to understand the concept and steps of binary multiplication in order to use a calculator effectively.