Bilinear integer equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter juantheron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the value of $\left|x+y \right|$ given an ordered pair of integers that satisfy the equation $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7$. The correct factorization is $(2x+y)\cdot (x-2y) = 7$, and from this, it can be determined that one of the integers must be $\pm1$ and the other must be $\pm7$.
juantheron
If $x,y$ are integer ordered pair of $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7,$ Then $\left|x+y \right| = $

My Try:: Given $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7\Rightarrow 2x^2-4xy+xy-2y^2 = 7$

So $(2x-y)\cdot (x-2y) = 7.$

Now How can I solve after that

Help me

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
jacks said:
If $x,y$ are integer ordered pair of $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7,$ Then $\left|x+y \right| = $

My Try:: Given $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7\Rightarrow 2x^2-4xy+xy-2y^2 = 7$

So $(2x-y)\cdot (x-2y) = 7.$

Now How can I solve after that

Help me

Thanks

You are just a little bit off. You can check your work. Let's try that here.

$(2x-y)\cdot (x-2y) = 2x^2 - 4xy -xy + 2y^2 = 2x^2 -5xy + 2y^2 \neq 2x^2 - 3xy - 2y^2$.

Knowing this, what do you think the correct factorization is?

Once you have got the correct factorisation sorted out, notice that if the product of two integers is $7$, then one of them must be $\pm1$ and the other one must be $\pm7$.

Thanks Aryth, opalg Got it.

I would suggest using algebraic techniques to solve for the ordered pair $(x,y)$ in the equation $2x^2-3xy-2y^2 = 7$. One approach could be to factor the left-hand side of the equation as you have already done, and then consider all possible combinations of factors of 7 to find potential solutions. Another approach could be to use the quadratic formula to solve for $x$ in terms of $y$ and then substitute that expression into the equation to solve for $y$. Once you have found the values of $x$ and $y$, you can plug them into the expression $|x+y|$ to find the final answer. It is important to also check your solutions to make sure they satisfy the original equation.

Related to Bilinear integer equation

What is a bilinear integer equation?

A bilinear integer equation is an equation in two variables where both variables have integer coefficients. It can be written in the form ax + by = c, where a, b, and c are integers and x and y are the variables.

How is a bilinear integer equation different from a regular linear equation?

A bilinear integer equation involves two variables instead of just one, and both variables have integer coefficients. This makes it more complex than a regular linear equation, which only involves one variable and can have non-integer coefficients.

What are some real-life applications of bilinear integer equations?

Bilinear integer equations are commonly used in economics and optimization problems. They can be used to model relationships between two variables, such as cost and production, or time and distance. They can also be used in engineering and scientific fields to optimize processes and find the most efficient solutions.

How do you solve a bilinear integer equation?

To solve a bilinear integer equation, you can use techniques such as substitution or elimination. You can also use graphing or algebraic methods to find the solution. It is important to note that in some cases, a bilinear integer equation may have multiple solutions or no solutions at all.

What are some strategies for solving difficult bilinear integer equations?

Some strategies for solving difficult bilinear integer equations include factoring, using the Euclidean algorithm, or using advanced algebraic techniques such as completing the square. It may also be helpful to break down the equation into smaller parts and solve them separately before combining the solutions.