Bike Frame Thickness Survey - Please Reply!

In summary, the speaker is conducting a survey for their bike alarm and is asking for the thickness of the biggest and smallest frames. Another person clarifies that they are looking for the outside tube diameters and the speaker provides the information for their own bike, with a top tube and down tube of 1.5" and a seat tube of 1". The downtubes measure at 3/4".
Gughanath
hey, I am doing a survey for my bike alarm. How thick is the biggest frames on your bike, and how thick is the smallest frame? a reply would be very helpful. Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thick as in the metal inside a frame? On my bike, a very thick street bike (stunt/bmx whatever you want to call it), it is .049 throughout. And that is thick! The frame weighs more than 8lbs (for a 20in bike) I would say your standard bike is .035 or less throughout, probably less for a cheap mountain bike.

He's attaching an alarm to one of the tubes of your frame, Matt. He doesn't care what the wall thicknesses are. He needs to know what the outside tube diameters are.

lol, ok that's what I thought originally, but I thought that information was easy to get.
My frame:
top tube and down tube are 1.5"
seat tube is 1"
downtubes (rear triangle) 3/4"

Related to Bike Frame Thickness Survey - Please Reply!

1. How does the thickness of a bike frame affect its performance?

The thickness of a bike frame can greatly impact its performance in terms of weight, stiffness, and durability. Thicker frames tend to be heavier and more rigid, making them suitable for rough terrain and heavier riders. Thinner frames are lighter and more flexible, making them better for smoother surfaces and lighter riders.

2. What is the ideal thickness for a bike frame?

There is no one ideal thickness for a bike frame as it depends on the rider's weight, riding style, and terrain. Generally, a thickness of 1-2mm is considered standard for most bike frames, but it can vary based on the type of frame and the material used.

3. How does the material of the bike frame affect its thickness?

The material of the bike frame can greatly impact its thickness. For example, carbon fiber frames tend to be thinner and lighter compared to aluminum or steel frames. This is because carbon fiber is a stronger and more lightweight material, allowing for a thinner frame without sacrificing durability.

4. Can a thicker bike frame make the ride more comfortable?

The thickness of a bike frame does not directly affect the comfort of the ride. However, a thicker frame may be able to absorb more shock and vibrations, making the ride more comfortable. It is also important to consider other factors such as the type of tires and suspension system when looking for a comfortable ride.

5. Does the thickness of a bike frame affect its lifespan?

The thickness of a bike frame can impact its lifespan. Thicker frames tend to be more durable and resistant to wear and tear, thus potentially lasting longer. However, thinner frames may also have a longer lifespan if they are made from high-quality materials and properly maintained.