Learning APA Format: A Guide for English Writers

In summary, the conversation discusses frustrations with varying formatting requirements in academic settings and the discovery of a new edition of the APA manual. The person is seeking a resource in English to properly use the APA format for a paper.
GlamGein
Can anyone refer me to a site that can tell me (in ENGLISH) how to use the APA format for a paper?
Thanx!

Physics news on Phys.org
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/research/r_apa.html

Last edited by a moderator:
rant: I really wish schools would commit to one format. I have classes that require APA, MLA and Turabian (chicago), how infuriating!

it's especially annoying when even within one format they change things every so often. I just found out about APA's 5th edition manual. I was still working with the 4th. now i have to go through my paper and make all sorts of silly little changes.

1. What is APA format?

APA format is a specific style of writing and citation used in academic and scientific publications, particularly in the fields of psychology, education, and social sciences. It provides guidelines for organizing the structure of papers, citing sources, and formatting references.

2. Why is it important to learn APA format?

Learning APA format is important for several reasons. It ensures consistency and clarity in academic writing, allowing readers to easily understand and follow the ideas presented. Additionally, many academic institutions and journals require papers to be written in APA format for publication.

3. How do I format my paper in APA style?

To format your paper in APA style, you should use 1-inch margins on all sides, double-spacing, and a 12-point font such as Times New Roman. The title page should include a running head, title, author name, and institutional affiliation. The main body should be divided into sections with headings and subheadings. In-text citations should be used to reference sources, and a reference list should be included at the end of the paper.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in APA format?

Some common mistakes to avoid in APA format include improper formatting of in-text citations and references, incorrect use of headings and subheadings, and failure to include a running head on the title page. It is also important to carefully proofread for any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. Are there any online resources for learning APA format?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning APA format. Some helpful websites include the official APA Style website, Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL), and the American Psychological Association's blog. There are also many tutorials and guides available on YouTube and other educational websites.