Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Big 'O' order symbols

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I have come across a number of examples in my textbook which seem to suggest that
if f(x)-> L as x-> a, then O(f(x))->L as x->a. Can this be proven?

to clarify, I mean O(f(x))=O(f(x)) as x-> a

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
I have come across a number of examples in my textbook which seem to suggest that
if f(x)-> L as x-> a, then O(f(x))->L as x->a. Can this be proven?
Hi Poirot, :)

Yes. This is a direct consequence of the definition of the Big O notation.

Definition: Let \(a\in\Re\) and \(f\) and \(g\) be two functions of \(x\). Then we write,

\[f(x)=O(g(x))\text{ as }x\to a\,\]

if and only if there exist \(\delta,\,M>0\) such that,

\[|f(x)| \le \; M |g(x)|\text{ for }|x - a| < \delta\]

(Reference: Big O notation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

Now using the above definition we see that,

\[f(x)=O(f(x))\]

Hence if \(f(x)\rightarrow L\) as \(x\rightarrow a\) then,

\[O(f(x))\rightarrow L\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I accept the truth of this but I doubt your reasoning because I would have thought you need to conside arbitrary g(x) =O(f(x), not take a particular case (when g(x)=f(x)).
Also, any proof would need to distinguish between strictly big O and 'little' o since it is false in the latter case. For example, x^2= o(1) as x-> 0 but as x->0, x^2->0 while
1-> 1.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Could you explain what $O(f(x))\rightarrow L$ means? When we write $g(x) = O(f(x))$, the right-hand side at worst is simply a part of a notation and at best is a class of functions.

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Could you explain what $O(f(x))\rightarrow L$ means? When we write $g(x) = O(f(x))$, the right-hand side at worst is simply a part of a notation and at best is a class of functions.
Totally confused this problem thinking that \(O\) represents a function. (Headbang)

I accept the truth of this but I doubt your reasoning because I would have thought you need to conside arbitrary g(x) =O(f(x), not take a particular case (when g(x)=f(x)).
Also, any proof would need to distinguish between strictly big O and 'little' o since it is false in the latter case. For example, x^2= o(1) as x-> 0 but as x->0, x^2->0 while
1-> 1.
The proof is obviously wrong since \(O\) does not represent a function but a class of functions. Sorry. :)

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I mean that the limit of the quotient is a constant

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I mean that the limit of the quotient is a constant
The quotient of what? And how can the limit of a function not be a constant? Are you talking not about the limit of a function but the limit of a sequence of functions?

• Banned

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
The quotient of what? And how can the limit of a function not be a constant? Are you talking not about the limit of a function but the limit of a sequence of functions?
we say f(x)=O(g(x)) as x-> a if lim{(f(x)/g(x)}= c, where c is not infinity (to answer your second question)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
we say f(x)=O(g(x)) as x-> a if lim{(f(x)/g(x)}= c, where c is not infinity (to answer your second question)
First, this is not the standard definition, which can be found in the link to Wikipedia in post #2. For example, \(\sin(x)=O(1)\) as \(x\to\infty\), but \(\lim_{x\to\infty}\sin(x)/1\) does not exist. Second, this does not answer the question what \(O(f(x))\to L\) means.

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
First, this is not the standard definition, which can be found in the link to Wikipedia in post #2. For example, \(\sin(x)=O(1)\) as \(x\to\infty\), but \(\lim_{x\to\infty}\sin(x)/1\) does not exist. Second, this does not answer the question what \(O(f(x))\to L\) means.
I am asking, if F(x) tends to L as x to a, then what does some function that is of order f(x) tend to as x tends to a. As for your claim, I am afraid you are mistaken; sinx=O(1) as x tends to 0, not infinity.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I am asking, if F(x) tends to L as x to a, then what does some function that is of order f(x) tend to as x tends to a.
It can tend to any number because "being of order" allows multiplication by any constant factor. For example, if \(f(x)=x\), then \(f(x)\to1\) as \(x\to1\). If \(g(x)=2x\), then \(g(x)=O(f(x))\), but \(g(x)\to2\) as \(x\to1\).

As for your claim, I am afraid you are mistaken; sinx=O(1) as x tends to 0, not infinity.
According to the standard definition, it's both.

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
This thread shows clearly the unormous confusion that Edmund Landau...

Edmund Landau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

... was able to introduce in the wenstern mathematical thought... it is not a surprise that, when the 'cultural authorities' are like Edmund Landau, sooner or later an Adolf Hitler necessarly appears (Wasntme)...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Poirot

Banned
Feb 15, 2012
I still need to explain the calculation that I have seen that states , for example,
as x->0, lim(O(x^2))=0. Now you can see why I hypothesised as I did. I am grateful for the input exposing my ignorance but for now I just want to focus on the above calculation.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
I still need to explain the calculation that I have seen that states , for example,
as x->0, lim(O(x^2))=0.
I assume \(O(f(x))\to L\) as \(x\to a\) means that for every function \(g(x)\) such that \(f(x)=O(g(x))\) it is the case that \(g(x)\to L\) as \(x\to a\). Then \(f(x)\to 0\) as \(x\to a\) indeed implies \(O(f(x))\to 0\) as \(x\to a\). This is because for each \(g(x)\in O(f(x))\) there exists a constant \(C\) and a neighborhood of \(a\) where \(|g(x)|\le C|f(x)|\). Since \(f(x)\to 0\), it follows that \(g(x)\to 0\) as well. However, this is true only when the limit of \(f(x)\) is 0.