Learning Electronics & Circuits: A Newbie's Guide

In summary, acemv is interested in learning more about electronics and circuitry. He has a basic education in electricity and is looking for advice on what he should do next to pursue this interest. He is interested in resistor color code, ohms law, and introductory books to intermediate level books.
acemv
Hi guys, I’m interested in learning about electronics and circuitry. I was a CS major but now I’m majoring in CIS. Ever since i was 7, i always open every electronic gadget my parents bought, which i proceeded to look through and "mess around". Most of the time, I didn't ruin the product, but sometimes I messed things up and piss off my parents :-(. I don't want to pursue an EE degree, but recently I’ve chosen this as a hobby that I’ll like to enter. I just finish my sophomore year in college and now its summer. I don't have anythign else to do with my free time. I work part-time now and i have a lot of extra cash that I’m ready to spend on devices, books, and tools that i would need to begin my adventure into this field. Before i register for an introductory electronics class at my university, i would greatly appreciate any tips and general info that you guys believe a newbie might need to know. Suggestions on introductory books to intermediate level books are greatly appreciated too. My whole goal in this is to some day make my own 2 way radio controlled robot.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi acemv, first off, where are you at with your education in electronics? Like for instance, do you know the resistor color code, ohms law, etc?

Originally posted by sheldon
Hi acemv, first off, where are you at with your education in electronics? Like for instance, do you know the resistor color code, ohms law, etc?

I did receive a some what basic education on electricity in high school, but it was a class in the 9th grade. I forget most, if not all of the items I was taught.

hmmm Bad Beer Rots Our Young Guts But Vodka Goes Well:smile:
black brown red orange yellow green blue violet grey white
so let's say you have a resistor with the first band orange so it equals 3 then the second band is black so it is 0 then the third band is the multiplier and its color is red you would have a 3000 ohm resistor. 3 orange 0 black and red two zeros 3K.

next is to understand how resistors relate to electricity. You probably already know they restrict the flow of electrons like a water sink valve that is half way on, only so much water can flow.

here is a simple way to look at it all. If you have a bucket that is half filled with water and a tap on the bottom. The level of the water is your voltage the tap is your resistor and the speed of the water coming out of the tap is your current. When you change these they change each other. ohms law is V divided by I=R where V is voltage and I is current and R is resistance. So IxR=V and V/R=I. let's do one, you have a circuit that has 10 volts and a 100 ohm resistor what is the current?

1. What is the best way to get started with learning electronics and circuits?

The best way to get started with learning electronics and circuits is to start with the basics. This includes understanding the fundamental concepts such as voltage, current, resistance, and Ohm's law. It is also important to familiarize yourself with the common electronic components and their symbols. Once you have a solid understanding of the basics, you can start experimenting with simple circuits and gradually move on to more complex projects.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in math or physics to learn electronics and circuits?

While having a background in math and physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn electronics and circuits. Many beginners are able to learn and understand the concepts through hands-on experimentation and following step-by-step guides. However, having a basic understanding of algebra and physics principles can make the learning process easier.

3. What are some good resources for learning electronics and circuits?

There are many resources available for learning electronics and circuits, such as online tutorials, books, and educational videos. Some popular online resources include websites like All About Circuits and Electronics Tutorials. Books such as "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III and "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk are also highly recommended for beginners.

4. Can I learn electronics and circuits without hands-on experience?

While hands-on experience is important for truly understanding electronics and circuits, it is possible to learn the basics without it. However, it is highly recommended to supplement your learning with hands-on experimentation and projects in order to fully grasp the concepts and develop practical skills.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take while learning electronics and circuits?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when working with electronics and circuits. This includes wearing proper protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and being aware of potential hazards, such as electric shock. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to properly handle and dispose of electronic components and materials. Always follow instructions carefully and never attempt to work on live circuits without proper knowledge and precautions.