Big Bang supposedly set matter and energy

In summary: So, in summary, time is not a conserved quantity, but CPT is, which means that our physical laws remain unchanged under the reversal of time.
rrw4rusty
Hello,

The Big Bang supposedly set matter and energy (the four known forces) in ‘motion’ causing ‘events’. A simple example: elements of the electroweak force holds an egg on the surface of a table while the mass of the Earth warps space and accelerates the egg while pulling it towards the center of the Earth. The sun warms the air which causes wind which pushes the egg off the table and it splats on the floor. Or something like that… you get the idea. These events take place because of physics.

The longer I study cosmology and quantum physics and despite reading a growing amount of material on the subject… the more that I see… no reason, value, proof or purpose for overlaying what seems more and more like an imaginary construct over the natural procession of events. Perhaps someone can help me out here for I’ve lost my belief in ‘time’. There’s more…

I’ve read that ‘time’ proceeds slower and faster depending on speed or the warping of space – no, the physical events of the universe proceed at different speeds. I’ve read that physics is transparent to the ‘arrow’ of time – that if the atoms of that spattered egg could be sent back at the exact reversed angle and speed that the egg would come back together, rise to the table edge and roll back to where it started. This is probably mostly a true statement but what physical law would launch those atoms (or does ‘gravity’s force reverse with so called reversal time’s arrow) and what law of physics would bind the broken shell back together?

In fact it seems to me that if ‘time’ did exist, then physics would not exist because if time does exist that means that there is the possibility that it can stop and what physical laws and forces would we have then? It means that there is the possibility that times direction can reverse and as discussed above, that means that our physical laws go whacko and broken symmetries can rebind -- not to mention that the 2nd law of thermodynamics is broken.

The physical forces move forward on their own, they don’t need time. However…

Every ‘far better mind’ than my own absolutely believes that ‘time’ exists so, I must be missing something. Help me out here. Give me one reason, test, or principle that indicates that there is such a thing as TIME.

Cheers,
Rusty

Space news on Phys.org

Time does exist, but it is not conserved. That makes it not less real, but in many situations less useful to talk about. Yes, if time were reversed things would change, our physical laws 'going whacko'. But time is not conserved.

What (as per our current understanding) actually ends up being conserved is CPT, which stands for charge, parity, time. What CPT conservation means is that if every charge were reversed (all matter becomes antimatter) all momenta reversed (the universe is a mirror image of itself) and time is reversed, the laws of the universe are invariant and such a universe would be indistinguishable from our own.

Related to Big Bang supposedly set matter and energy

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origins of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a single, extremely dense and hot point, and has been expanding and cooling over the past 13.8 billion years.

2. How did the Big Bang supposedly set matter and energy in motion?

The Big Bang theory suggests that during the explosion of the initial singularity, energy was released and began to form matter. As the universe continued to expand and cool, this matter formed into the particles and atoms that make up everything we see today.

3. Is the Big Bang theory widely accepted among scientists?

Yes, the Big Bang theory is widely accepted among scientists as the most supported explanation for the origins of the universe. It has been tested and confirmed by numerous observations and experiments.

4. Is the Big Bang theory the only explanation for the beginning of the universe?

No, there are other theories and hypotheses about the origins of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang theory is currently the most accepted and supported explanation based on scientific evidence.

5. Can we observe or prove the Big Bang event?

While we cannot directly observe the Big Bang event, scientists have gathered evidence from the expansion of the universe, cosmic microwave background radiation, and the abundance of light elements to support the theory. Additionally, ongoing research and advancements in technology continue to provide new insights into the early stages of the universe.