Big bang in Robertson - Walker space - time

In summary, the Robertson-Walker metric can be used to calculate the Ricci Tensor for coordinate independent curvature properties. The resulting expression, R^{\mu \nu }R_{\mu \nu } = \frac{1}{R(t)^{2}}[9\ddot{R} + 3\frac{(\ddot{R}R + 2\dot{R}^{2} + 2k)^{2}}{R(t)^{2}}], shows that the singularity at R(0) = 0 has infinite curvature in the manifold. This can be interpreted as the moment of the big bang. The singularity at r = 0 is just a coordinate singularity and does
WannabeNewton
Science Advisor
Hey guys. I was looking at the Robertson - Walker metric and went about calculating [tex]R^{\mu \nu }R_{\mu \nu }[/tex] as a way of looking at coordinate independent curvature properties through the Ricci Tensor. Considering I did it correctly I ended up with:

[tex]R^{\mu \nu }R_{\mu \nu } = \frac{1}{R(t)^{2}}[9\ddot{R} + 3\frac{(\ddot{R}R + 2\dot{R}^{2} + 2k)^{2}}{R(t)^{2}}][/tex]

Where R(t) is the scale factor, k is the spatial curvature index, and dots denote time derivatives. So if R(0) = 0 is taken to be the origin then can it be interpreted as being that moment right at the big bang? I ask this because the big bang is said to be a real, geometric singularity and in this coordinate - invariant expression R(0) = 0 induces infinite curvature in the manifold. Also, what would r = 0 mean in the manifold (r being the radial coordinate as defined by the metric) since it doesn't really show up in this expression (if I did it right of course!)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the scale factor evolves with time and curvature invariants (the Ricci scalar would be a more obvious choice) diverge at [tex]R(t_0)=0[/tex], it makes sense to treat [tex]t_0[/tex] as the origin of the time coordinate. This can always be achieved by a constant shift in time. The singularity at [tex]r=0[/tex] is just a coordinate singularity, analogous to the same one in polar coordinates for Cartesian space. Curvature invariants don't do anything special there.

I'm sorry when you say r = 0 do you mean the scale factor or just the radial coordinate?

WannabeNewton said:
I'm sorry when you say r = 0 do you mean the scale factor or just the radial coordinate?

The radial coordinate.

Ok thank you very much.

Related to Big bang in Robertson - Walker space - time

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin and development of the universe. It proposes that the universe began as a small, incredibly dense and hot singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This theory is supported by various astronomical observations and mathematical models.

2. How does the Big Bang theory relate to Robertson-Walker space-time?

Robertson-Walker space-time is a mathematical model used to describe the large-scale structure of the universe. It is a key component of the Big Bang theory, as it allows scientists to understand how the universe has expanded and evolved over time.

3. What evidence supports the Big Bang theory in Robertson-Walker space-time?

There are several pieces of evidence that support the Big Bang theory and its relation to Robertson-Walker space-time. These include the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements in the universe, and the observed redshift of galaxies. These observations are consistent with the predictions of the Big Bang theory and the expansion of the universe.

4. Does the Big Bang theory in Robertson-Walker space-time explain the beginning of the universe?

The Big Bang theory does not attempt to explain the very beginning of the universe. It only describes the expansion and development of the universe after the initial singularity. The theory does not address what caused the singularity or what may have existed before it.

5. Is the Big Bang theory in Robertson-Walker space-time universally accepted by scientists?

The Big Bang theory is currently the most widely accepted explanation for the origin and development of the universe. However, there are still ongoing research and debates about certain aspects of the theory, and some scientists propose alternative theories. Overall, the evidence supporting the Big Bang theory is strong, but it is always subject to further investigation and refinement.