Big Bang: How Did the Energy Get There?

In summary, the cause of the Big Bang is still unknown and there are various theories being considered, such as the possibility of a white hole or the role of string theory. The concept of a universe from nothing is also being explored, but the ultimate question of where the very first something came from still remains unanswered. Some sources suggest that the laws of energy conservation may not apply in the creation of the universe, but this is still a topic of debate. Overall, there is no well-supported scientific theory to explain the source of the Big Bang.
Chrono
The Big Bang was basically caused by an extreme heating up of energy, right? Well, how did that energy get there if it can neither be created or destroyed?

This question is assuming I have my facts straight.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think nobody nows what caused the big bang, or if there has only been one. And your remark about the conservation of energy; this 'rule' might be created along with the big bang itself... We're not nearly yet at the point of understanding of the beginning of the universe as we would like...

The first day of creation, who could ACT rationally on such a morning?
Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn

The Big Bang might have started from a white hole, which would assumes multiverses.

The answer might lie in string theory, saying that it is possible for high tension strings to produce high energy and continue to produce heavy mass, much heavier than the standard model of particles and then decay into particles we study today. Though it's just a theory and I don't know how the first string came about. Also, with a slight energy fluctuation matter and anti-matter can be created, with enough energy (more anti-matter), a matter/anti-matter colision could possibly form other mass and so on and so forth. But I've found all these theories confusing because quantum theory always seems to turn things around. But it's just some stuff I've read.

-Energy conservation laws would probably breakdown in creation of a universe wouldn't they?

energy conservation laws may not break down in the creation of the universe. i think the current theory is that matter and antimatter were created in equal parts, but the antimatter had a slightly shorter decay rate, so there was a slightly higher abundance of matter left over after all the matter/antimatter anihilated.

Here is an interesting link dating back 10^-44 seconds before the big bang:
http://perry.sonoma.edu/journeys/cb/Default.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrono - As was said, the cause of the Big Bang is unknown, although there are some interesting ideas being considered (e.g., string theory, etc.). But, alas, no well supported scientific theory to explain the Big Bang source.

matt.o - There's a possible zero-sum game if you add up the positive & negative aspects of matter, energy, dark matter, dark energy, & gravity in the universe (all balances out). Check out ...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=58558

Last edited:
The concept of a universe from nothing has a certain appeal. There are other mechanisms proposed that rely upon a pre existing state [strings, branes, previous universes] but, if you extrapolate these backwards as well, you still face the ultimate question: where did the very first something come from? To say they have existed forever is, at least to me, not very satisfying, but I suppose that is a matter of taste. Much has been written on the topic:

A Universe from Nothing
http://www.astrosociety.org/pubs/mercury/31_02/nothing.html
An old standby article

Simple quantum cosmology: Vacuum energy and initial state
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0501014
The most recent technical paper

Last edited:
Phobos said:
Chrono - As was said, the cause of the Big Bang is unknown, although there are some interesting ideas being considered (e.g., string theory, etc.). But, alas, no well supported scientific theory to explain the Big Bang source.

That's pretty much what I was looking for.

Related to Big Bang: How Did the Energy Get There?

1. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a hot and dense singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

2. How did the energy get there?

The energy present in the universe during the Big Bang is thought to have existed in the form of a singularity, which is a point of infinite density and temperature. As the singularity expanded, it released this energy and created the universe.

3. What caused the Big Bang?

The cause of the Big Bang is still a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that it was a result of quantum fluctuations, while others propose the concept of a multiverse where our universe is just one of many.

4. How do we know the Big Bang happened?

There is a great deal of evidence that supports the Big Bang theory. This includes the cosmic microwave background radiation, the abundance of light elements, and the observed expansion of the universe. Additionally, computer simulations and mathematical models also support the theory.

5. What happened before the Big Bang?

It is currently unknown what, if anything, existed before the Big Bang. Some theories suggest that time and space did not exist before the Big Bang, while others propose the idea of a cyclical universe where the Big Bang is just one event in a repeating cycle.