Bicycle Shox Dynamics: Velocity & Acceleration Measurement

In summary, The conversation discusses an animation of bicycle shox and how to calculate the velocity and acceleration of a 100kg rider on the bike using basic dynamics theory and conservation of energy. It also mentions using the instantaneous centers method and a four bar mechanism to calculate these values. However, there is no known website demonstrating these methods.
chandran
Please go thro the link. it shows an animation of bicycle shox.
http://www.santacruzmtb.com/vpp/. click on the animation

Suppose a person of weight 100kg sits on this how can i know the
velociy,accelerations at various points on the bicycle. Can any
basic dynamics theory help in this?

Physics news on Phys.org
i may be wrong but you'd probably need the the spring constant ... use conservation of energy ... also need to know how the load is being transferred due the rotation ... i know I'm wrong but i gave it a shot

Don't we have a four bar mechanism there. If that is the case u can calculate the velocities and accln using the instantaneous centers method

burnhard,
Any website for showing method to find accelerations,velocity in four bar mechanism?

chandran said:
burnhard,
Any website for showing method to find accelerations,velocity in four bar mechanism?
I am sorry I do not know of any good website which shows the methods to find accelerations and velocities in a Four bar linkage. Maybe someone out there can help.

Related to Bicycle Shox Dynamics: Velocity & Acceleration Measurement

What is the purpose of measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics?

The purpose of measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics is to understand the movement and performance of the suspension system. By measuring these parameters, scientists and engineers can analyze the effectiveness of the shox and make adjustments to improve the overall performance of the bicycle.

What tools are commonly used to measure velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics?

The most common tools used to measure velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics are accelerometers and velocity sensors. These devices are typically attached to the shox or other parts of the bicycle to collect data and provide accurate measurements.

How do velocity and acceleration affect the performance of a bicycle's shox?

Velocity and acceleration play a crucial role in determining the performance of a bicycle's shox. Higher velocities and accelerations can result in more force being applied to the shox, which can affect its ability to absorb impacts and maintain stability. By measuring these parameters, scientists can determine the optimal settings for the shox to provide the best performance.

What are some common challenges in accurately measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics?

One common challenge in accurately measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics is the effect of external forces, such as wind resistance and road conditions, on the bicycle's movement. Another challenge is the need for precise and sensitive equipment to capture the small changes in velocity and acceleration that occur during bicycle riding.

How can measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics help improve the design and performance of bicycles?

By measuring velocity and acceleration in bicycle shox dynamics, scientists and engineers can identify areas for improvement in the design and performance of bicycles. This data can be used to make adjustments to the shox system, as well as other components of the bicycle, to enhance its overall performance, comfort, and safety.