Better intuition of what it is I am finding.

• Thread starter Sefrez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intuition
In summary, the speaker is discussing a problem involving finding the net work done on an object based on its initial and final velocity vectors. They mention that the work may be relative, depending on the reference frame used, and provide a formula for calculating the change in kinetic energy. They also mention that ΔK may not be invariant for different inertial frames of reference.
Sefrez
This is another simple problem that I have probably over thought on and now have some questions.

I am given that the initial velocity of some mass m's vector is v_i = x1 i + y1 j and that its final velocity vector is v_f = x2 i + y2 j. I am then asked to find the net work done on the object that accounted for the change in velocity.

This is simply done by W = ΔK = 0.5m|v_f|^2 - 0.5m|v_i|^2.

I got to thinking though that this must be relative. That is, if you find the change in velocity which would be Δv = v_f - v_i = (x2 - x1) i + (y2 - y1) j. This could then be thought of as a reference frame that observes the final velocity as Δv. In other words, in this reference frame, the initial velocity is zero. That means that the work needed to change its velocity is 0.5m|Δv|^2. This of course is not the same as the work needed from the other reference frame.

Also note, that if at the reference frame that defines the two original velocities (initial, final) where the final has a decrease in velocity, work is negative due to the fact that the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions.

But going back to the reference frame where initial velocity is 0, applying the same force, the object does move in the direction of the force - because the object is essentially at rest in the current reference frame.

So: Does this mean that in the first calculation of work - this is relative to the frame of reference that initially defined the two velocities? And for the work calculated from the change in the velocity is relative to the reference frame that observes initial velocity as zero?

And if those two are correct, this means then that, work is relative, correct? Maybe this is obvious, maybe not. Possibly even incorrect. Any talk is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sefrez said:
This is another simple problem that I have probably over thought on and now have some questions.

I am given that the initial velocity of some mass m's vector is v_i = x1 i + y1 j and that its final velocity vector is v_f = x2 i + y2 j. I am then asked to find the net work done on the object that accounted for the change in velocity.

This is simply done by W = ΔK = 0.5m|v_f|^2 - 0.5m|v_i|^2.

I got to thinking though that this must be relative. That is, if you find the change in velocity which would be Δv = v_f - v_i = (x2 - x1) i + (y2 - y1) j. This could then be thought of as a reference frame that observes the final velocity as Δv. In other words, in this reference frame, the initial velocity is zero. That means that the work needed to change its velocity is 0.5m|Δv|^2. This of course is not the same as the work needed from the other reference frame.
ΔK is not simply 0.5m|Δv|2 if you do the algebra correctly. |Δv|2≠Δ(v2)
ΔK = (1/2)m[Δ(v2)]
= (1/2)m[(vf)2-(vi)2]

= (1/2)m(vf+vi)(vf-vi)​

Now, check to see whether or not this is invariant for various inertial frames of reference.

(Actually, it may not be invariant, but at least you'll be working with the correct quantity.)

Last edited:

Related to Better intuition of what it is I am finding.

1. What is intuition and how does it relate to scientific findings?

Intuition is a gut feeling or a sense of knowing without conscious reasoning. In science, intuition often plays a role in generating hypotheses or guiding the interpretation of findings. It can also be seen as a form of pattern recognition that allows scientists to make connections between seemingly disparate pieces of information.

2. How can I improve my intuition in understanding my research findings?

One way to improve your intuition is by regularly practicing critical thinking and reflection. This can involve questioning your assumptions, considering alternative explanations, and seeking out new perspectives. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the existing literature in your field can help you develop a stronger intuition for the types of patterns and relationships that have been observed in previous research.

3. Is intuition a reliable tool for interpreting scientific data?

While intuition can be a valuable tool in science, it should not be relied upon as the sole means of interpreting data. It is important to combine intuition with rigorous data analysis and statistical methods to ensure accurate and objective conclusions. Intuition should also be continuously tested and refined through experimentation and peer review.

4. How does intuition differ from bias in scientific research?

Intuition is often based on unconscious knowledge and experience, while bias is a conscious or unconscious preference or tendency that can affect the interpretation of data. To ensure the objectivity of scientific findings, it is important to be aware of potential biases and actively work to minimize their influence on intuition and data analysis.

5. Can intuition be taught or learned?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards intuition, it is a skill that can be developed and improved upon through practice and reflection. Scientists can also learn from each other by sharing their intuitive insights and discussing how they arrived at their conclusions. However, it is important to remember that intuition should always be supported by evidence and not used as a substitute for rigorous scientific methods.