Best wishes :)Question: How do we use supremum in the proof of Cauchy sequence?

In summary: By the way, I had to use \tfrac to typeset $\frac{c}{2}$ in the argument of $\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right)$, because otherwise it would typeset as $\phi(c/2)$, which is not the desired meaning.)
ozkan12
Let $\left(E,d\right)$ be a complete metric space, and $T,S:E\to E$ two mappings such that for all $x,y\in E$,

$d\left(Tx,Sy\right)\le M\left(x,y\right)-\varphi\left(M\left(x,y\right)\right)$,

where $\varphi:[0,\infty)\to [0,\infty)$ is a lower semicontinuous function with $\varphi\left(t\right)>0$ for $t\in(0,\infty)$ and $\varphi(0)=0$ $M(x,y)=max\left\{d(x,y), d(Tx,x),d(Sy,y),\frac{1}{2}\left[d(y,Tx)+d(x,Sy)\right]\right\}$

Proof of cauchy sequence

We will show that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is Cauchy sequence. Let

${c}_{n}=sup\left\{d\left({x}_{j},{x}_{k}\right):j,k\ge n\right\}$. Then ${c}_{n}$ is decreasing. İf $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{c}_{n}=0$, then we are done. Assume that $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{c}_{n}=c>0$. Choose $\varepsilon<\frac{c}{8}$ small enough and select $N$ such that for all $n\ge N$.

$d\left({x}_{n+1},{x}_{n}\right)<\varepsilon$ and ${c}_{n}<c+\varepsilon$. By the definition of ${c}_{N+1}$, there exists $m,n\ge N+1$ such that $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)>{c}_{n}-\varepsilon \ge c-\varepsilon$. Replace ${x}_{m}$ by ${x}_{m+1}$ if necessary. We may assume that $m$ is even, $n$ is odd, and $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)>c-2\varepsilon$. Then $d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)>c-4\varepsilon$, and $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)=d\left(T{x}_{m-1},S{x}_{n-1}\right)\le M\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)-\varphi\left(M\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)\right)$
$\le max\left\{d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right),\varepsilon,\varepsilon,\frac{1}{2}\left[d\left({x}_{n-1},{x}_{m}\right)+d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n}\right)\right]\right\}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)$. We have proved that ${c}_{N}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)>{c}_{N+1}$ (if $\varepsilon$ is small enough). This is impossible. Thus, we must have $c=0$

Question: How ${c}_{N}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)>{c}_{N+1}$ is condratiction ? I didnt understand...Please can you help me ? Thank you for your attention...Best wishes :)

Physics news on Phys.org
ozkan12 said:
Let $\left(E,d\right)$ be a complete metric space, and $T,S:E\to E$ two mappings such that for all $x,y\in E$,

$d\left(Tx,Sy\right)\le M\left(x,y\right)-\varphi\left(M\left(x,y\right)\right)$,

where $\varphi:[0,\infty)\to [0,\infty)$ is a lower semicontinuous function with $\varphi\left(t\right)>0$ for $t\in(0,\infty)$ and $\varphi(0)=0$ $M(x,y)=max\left\{d(x,y), d(Tx,x),d(Sy,y),\frac{1}{2}\left[d(y,Tx)+d(x,Sy)\right]\right\}$

Proof of cauchy sequence

We will show that $\left\{{x}_{n}\right\}$ is Cauchy sequence. Let

${c}_{n}=sup\left\{d\left({x}_{j},{x}_{k}\right):j,k\ge n\right\}$. Then ${c}_{n}$ is decreasing. İf $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{c}_{n}=0$, then we are done. Assume that $\lim_{{n}\to{\infty}}{c}_{n}=c>0$. Choose $\varepsilon<\frac{c}{8}$ small enough and select $N$ such that for all $n\ge N$.

$d\left({x}_{n+1},{x}_{n}\right)<\varepsilon$ and ${c}_{n}<c+\varepsilon$. By the definition of ${c}_{N+1}$, there exists $m,n\ge N+1$ such that $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)>{c}_{n}-\varepsilon \ge c-\varepsilon$. Replace ${x}_{m}$ by ${x}_{m+1}$ if necessary. We may assume that $m$ is even, $n$ is odd, and $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)>c-2\varepsilon$. Then $d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)>c-4\varepsilon$, and $d\left({x}_{m},{x}_{n}\right)=d\left(T{x}_{m-1},S{x}_{n-1}\right)\le M\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)-\varphi\left(M\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right)\right)$
$\le max\left\{d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n-1}\right),\varepsilon,\varepsilon,\frac{1}{2}\left[d\left({x}_{n-1},{x}_{m}\right)+d\left({x}_{m-1},{x}_{n}\right)\right]\right\}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)$. We have proved that ${c}_{N}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)>{c}_{N+1}$ (if $\varepsilon$ is small enough). This is impossible. Thus, we must have $c=0$

Question: How ${c}_{N}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)>{c}_{N+1}$ is condratiction ? I didnt understand...Please can you help me ? Thank you for your attention...Best wishes :)
It is hard to make sense of this because you have not said how the sequence $\{x_n\}$ is defined.

oh, excuse me dear opalg,

${x}_{n}=T{x}_{n-1}={T}^{n}{x}_{0}$. ${x}_{0}$ is arbitrary point in X metric space

ozkan12 said:
oh, excuse me dear opalg,

${x}_{n}=T{x}_{n-1}={T}^{n}{x}_{0}$. ${x}_{0}$ is arbitrary point in X metric space
Looking at the proof more carefully, I think that that definition is wrong. It looks as though the correct definition should be ${x}_{n}=T{x}_{n-1}$ if $n$ is even, and ${x}_{n}=S{x}_{n-1}$ if $n$ is odd.

I still fail to understand how this proof works, because it starts by claiming that $d(x_{n+1},x_n)$ can be made less than $\varepsilon$ for all sufficiently large $n$. I cannot see anything that might justify that.

However, if the proof is correct, it appears to show that ${c}_{N}-\varphi\!\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)>{c}_{N+1}$ for all sufficiently large $N$ (if $\varepsilon$ is small enough). This would mean that $${c}_{N+1} < {c}_{N}-\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right),$$ $${c}_{N+2} < {c}_{N+1}-\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right) < {c}_{N}-2\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right),$$ $$\vdots$$ $${c}_{N+k} < {c}_{N}-k\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right),$$ and for $k$ large enough the right side of that last inequality would become negative. That is clearly impossible, because ${c}_{N+k}$ has to be positive.

Dear professor Opalg,

Why right side of last inequality would become negative for "k" large enough ? I didnt understand...Can you explain..? Thank you for your attention :)

ozkan12 said:
Why right side of last inequality would become negative for "k" large enough ? I didnt understand...Can you explain..? Thank you for your attention :)
Try to work this one out for yourself. If you take a positive quantity (${c}_{N}$) and you subtract larger and larger multiples of another positive quantity ($\varphi\!\left(\tfrac{c}{2}\right)$), then eventually the result will become negative. That's not graduate-level analysis, it's primary school arithmetic.

Thank you dear Opalg, I think so but to ensure, I ask this...Thank you sou much, thank you for your attention :)

Dear professor,

How we get

${C}_{N+2}\le{C}_{N+1}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)$
${C}_{N+3}\le{C}_{N+2}-\varphi\left(\frac{c}{2}\right)$

By iteration ? Or by repating same process ?

İn this proof, I have some troubles...

First of all,

in ${c}_{n}=sup\left\{d\left({x}_{j},{x}_{k}\right):j,k\ge n\right\}$ why we use supremum ?

Also, How we know that $\left\{d\left({x}_{j},{x}_{k}\right):j,k\ge n\right\}$ has a supremum ? This set is not bounded...

Thank you for your attention...

Related to Best wishes :)Question: How do we use supremum in the proof of Cauchy sequence?

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers that gets arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. This means that for any given distance, there will be a point in the sequence where all subsequent numbers are within that distance from each other.

2. How is a Cauchy sequence different from a convergent sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is different from a convergent sequence because it does not necessarily have a limit. A convergent sequence, on the other hand, has a limit that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence progresses.

3. What is the importance of the Cauchy sequence in mathematics?

The Cauchy sequence is important in mathematics because it is used as a way to define the concept of convergence, which is essential in analysis and calculus. It is also used in the construction of the real numbers and in proving the completeness of the real numbers.

4. How do you prove that a sequence is a Cauchy sequence?

To prove that a sequence is a Cauchy sequence, you need to show that for any given distance, there is a point in the sequence where all subsequent terms are within that distance from each other. This can be done by using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and manipulating the terms in the sequence to show that they satisfy the necessary conditions.

5. Can a Cauchy sequence be defined in any metric space?

Yes, a Cauchy sequence can be defined in any metric space, as long as the space satisfies the necessary conditions for a Cauchy sequence. These conditions include the existence of a distance function and the ability to manipulate the terms in the sequence to show that they get arbitrarily close to each other.