Best way to self-study thermo/stat mech.

• Thread starter X89codered89X
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Self-study
In summary: Statistical Mechanics: An Introduction by L. D. Callen2) Statistical Mechanics: A Modern Introduction by J. H. van der Veen and J. D. Wong3) Statistical Mechanics: An Introduction to Second Order Phase Theory by J. H. van der Veen and J. D. WongIf you're looking for a more math-heavy book, I would recommend either of those.
X89codered89X
I'm in grad school for systems/control engineering. I'm much more interested in the theoretical aspects of the subject as opposed to building physical systems. Maybe that makes me less employable, but regardless, a lot of my ideas now require the mathematics developed mainly in thermo/stat mech, but my EE undergrad degree doesn't really prepare me from the thermal physics/stat mech material very well, And I doubt I could be permitted to take a thermal physics undergraduate course even if for the sake of research. I have statistical mechanics textbooks, both of which appear to be written Well, but I do not seem to have the thermal physics prerequisite material. In addition, most of the "schaums teach yourself thermodyanamics" are more geared towards engineering, which means steam tables and physical systems, as opposed to the mathematical methods and content which is useful to me.

So the question is, how do I study thermal physics (and ultimately stat. mech) on my own? I'm very comfortable with self-study, but I'm also aware that without the right resources, it can be nearly impossible. I'm looking for recommendations on video lectures (if you know any that exist), practice problems with answers (so i can check my work), readable textbooks, etc. That go into the deep mathematics of the subject as opposed to preparing me for the trade.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For thermo, the book by Callen is the most mathematically rigorous I've seen. About as pure theory as the subject gets. Very self-contained.

I like the book titled "Statistical Mechanics" by R. Kubo (not the 2-tome stat-physics series by the same author), it's not very verbose on the theory but is chock full of illustrative example problems and solutions to practically all the exercises. There are probably more theory-heavy books on SM, but it's worth checking and is definitely self-study friendly.

Likes 1 person
Use Hills book. I have used it myself with great results!

From experience, read the book and summarize every few paragraphs in your own words in a separate notebook. Once you have finished the chapter take a break and solve 2-3 problems depending on the their difficulty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486652424/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Aero51 said:
Use Hills book. I have used it myself with great results!

From experience, read the book and summarize every few paragraphs in your own words in a separate notebook. Once you have finished the chapter take a break and solve 2-3 problems depending on the their difficulty.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486652424/?tag=pfamazon01-20

HA! I was referring to that stat. mech. book exactly, which appears to be written well and illustrates things clearly, but I think it will be better for me to go in depth with thermo first. For that I may use Lavabug's suggestion of Callen's book, which I've found online and looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly the book goes through all the derivations from start you should be able to develop a physical intuition of the material.

What aspects of statistical physics are really what you eventually need to learn in order to help with your research?

apologies to reigniting this thread but I finally have an answer for you JasonRF.

I'm studying stat. mech. in particular for the math methods involved. The usefulness of being able to make emergent predictions about an arbitrarily large collection of independent particles with their own states is an extremely powerful mathematical toolset. This tools in this toolset include are themselves their own fields: information theory, dynamical systems, stochastic calc, etc. etc. All of this will be useful.

Within this toolset, I see potential foundations to what could perhaps one day be strong AI, or at least a very popular field that is just "emergence science" in general.

In that case it seems like classical thermodynamics is not something you are really interested in, but just as a stepping stone to learnning the statistical physics. I don't know what the best book for you might be; I learned statistical physics essentially the same as you are - self-studying while I was an EE grad student (I used the book by Reif, which seemed self contained in terms of covering macroscopic thermo while emphasizing the statistical physics).

I do know of one book that may be interesting to you, although it does not emphasize math. Prof. Sethna at Cornell allows electronic download of his book from his site for free:
http://www.lassp.cornell.edu/sethna/
I think it is interesting and seems to be written from a viewpoint that applications outside of physics are important, although much of the material is actually in the problems.

jason

Stat mech and thermo were subjects I need to brush up on 'a bit' in grad school for my qualifier exams. It's probably not good advice, but I just read a crap load of books and worked old exam problems for a long time (with no solutions). To be fair, I did have a stat mech course in college.

The books I ended up working through were Reif, Callen, Huang, and Landau/Lifshitz. It was some time ago, so the details are blurry now. I had used Reif in undergrad, so I identify with that book the most. There's an incredible amount of information in that book, but it's dense, and my first time through in undergrad I missed or overlooked some important thoughts. Callen and Huang were two books I got based on recommendations from friends; I recall that they were more readable, but possibly not as thorough. Landau and Lifshitz is a great reference too, but not always accessible.

My reading and studying habits changed a lot that year. I finally learned to be much more meticulous in my studying and reading. I'd typically read a book/topic 2 times. The first a bit more quickly, highlighting sections, then a second time, making margin notes and summarizing topics in a notebook. In other words, working through material very thoroughly and slowly, while condensing the ideas contained within into my own words elsewhere.

Related to Best way to self-study thermo/stat mech.

1. What are the key concepts I should focus on when self-studying thermo/stat mech?

The key concepts to focus on when self-studying thermo/stat mech are thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, and their applications to physical systems. It is important to have a strong understanding of the laws of thermodynamics, phase transitions, and the statistical nature of physical systems.

2. What are the best resources for self-studying thermo/stat mech?

There are many resources available for self-studying thermo/stat mech, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics" by Keith Stowe and "Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics: An Integrated Approach" by Robert J. Hardy. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer free lectures and practice problems.

3. How much time should I allocate for self-studying thermo/stat mech?

The amount of time needed to self-study thermo/stat mech will vary depending on your prior knowledge and learning style. However, on average, it is recommended to allocate at least 2-3 hours per week for self-studying, with additional time for practice problems and review.

4. How can I ensure that I am understanding the material while self-studying thermo/stat mech?

One way to ensure understanding while self-studying thermo/stat mech is to regularly check your understanding through practice problems and quizzes. You can also seek out online forums or study groups to discuss concepts and ask questions. Additionally, it can be helpful to periodically review and summarize the material to solidify your understanding.

5. How can I apply what I have learned from self-studying thermo/stat mech in real-world situations?

Thermo/stat mech has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. By self-studying, you can gain a strong understanding of these concepts and how they apply to real-world situations. Additionally, you can seek out internships or research opportunities in these fields to further apply your knowledge and skills.