Best way to improve knowledge of electronics/circuit theory?

In summary: It is a bit more in-depth than what you will need for your first job, but it is a great resource. In summary, I would recommend getting The Art of Electronics by Horowitz/Hill if you are comfortable with resistor networks, capacitors and inductors, and Fourier analysis. The book is more in-depth than what you will need for your first job, but it is a great resource.
royco
Hi guys,
I recently finished my Physics undergraduate degree, and will be starting my first job in September. My employers have asked me to improve my knowledge of electronics before I begin work. I would like to improve my ability to analyse and understand circuits, and also learn more about circuit design in general.

I have some basic electronics knowledge, am fairly handy with a soldering iron, and have access to materials to play around with to help learn more. Is there a book or two that it would be worth getting, to try and learn from, or would an online course be better? I've seen varying opinions on "The Art of Electronics", and am not sure if it is at the right level for me either.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your current level in electronics? Are you comfortable with resistor networks? Capacitors and inductors thrown into the mix? Fourier analysis? What about circuit simulation software?

What kinds of applications will the circuits be used in?

royco said:
Hi guys,
I recently finished my Physics undergraduate degree, and will be starting my first job in September. My employers have asked me to improve my knowledge of electronics before I begin work. I would like to improve my ability to analyse and understand circuits, and also learn more about circuit design in general.

I have some basic electronics knowledge, am fairly handy with a soldering iron, and have access to materials to play around with to help learn more. Is there a book or two that it would be worth getting, to try and learn from, or would an online course be better? I've seen varying opinions on "The Art of Electronics", and am not sure if it is at the right level for me either.

Thanks

Nothing beats touching. Go to the local thrift store, buy some old electronics (not old TV sets) and take them apart while studying.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/

I am familiar with resistor networks (basic parallel/series stuff); capacitors and inductors I am somewhat familiar with individually but not as a part of larger circuits really. I am familiar with Fourier transforms, but not applied to electronics. Never used circuit simulation software.

As for applications, the interview that focussed on electronics revolved around the operation of a switched mode power supply. The work that the job involves will be varied, so I am not sure on specifics unfortunately.

Congrats on the job! I would recommend buying The Art of Electronics by Horowitz/Hill.

Related to Best way to improve knowledge of electronics/circuit theory?

1. How can I improve my understanding of basic electronic components?

To improve your understanding of basic electronic components, it is important to first familiarize yourself with their names and functions. You can then start experimenting with them by creating simple circuits and observing their behavior. Additionally, there are many online resources such as tutorials and videos that can help you gain a deeper understanding of each component.

2. What resources are available to learn circuit theory?

There are a variety of resources available to learn circuit theory, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is important to find a resource that fits your learning style and pace. You can also join online forums or communities to discuss and learn from others who have a strong understanding of circuit theory.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills when it comes to electronics?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills in electronics is through practice and experimentation. Start by solving simple circuit problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. It is also helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and approach them one at a time. Additionally, actively seeking out and solving real-life problems can greatly improve your problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any hands-on activities I can do to improve my knowledge of electronics?

Yes, there are many hands-on activities you can do to improve your knowledge of electronics. Building and experimenting with circuits is a great way to gain practical knowledge. You can also take apart and reassemble electronic devices to understand how they work. Additionally, participating in workshops or maker fairs can provide hands-on learning opportunities.

5. How important is math in understanding electronics and circuit theory?

Math is crucial in understanding electronics and circuit theory. Concepts such as Ohm's Law, Kirchhoff's Laws, and complex circuit analysis require a strong foundation in math. It is important to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to fully grasp these concepts. However, there are many online resources and tools available to help with the math involved in electronics and circuit theory.